Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you crazy SS dudes own/considering a pugsley. it's surley's newest bike with clearance for 4" tires. it's a snow/sand bike. I think I'm gonna pick one up, but I'm curious about availability and how I should gear it with such huge tires. I was thinking like 1:1.75 instead of the standard 1:2 ratio. Also considered an 8 spd. nexus hub, but I suppose that would be blasphemy around these parts. :eek:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
1. The Pugsley is not in production yet so no one here (not a Surly employee) owns one.

2. Many of us run a gear around or lower than 1:1.75 on our "regular" bikes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pats Bikes in Anchorage

endurowanker said:
any of you crazy SS dudes own/considering a pugsley. it's surley's newest bike with clearance for 4" tires. it's a snow/sand bike. I think I'm gonna pick one up, but I'm curious about availability and how I should gear it with such huge tires. I was thinking like 1:1.75 instead of the standard 1:2 ratio. Also considered an 8 spd. nexus hub, but I suppose that would be blasphemy around these parts. :eek:
Has one in stock and built up. Those new Surly tires are HUGE! His is built up as a SS but I don't know what gearing he went with. You could ask on the Alaska forum.

Dave ( The Traveler)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Must be prototypes/preproduction samples. The Surly Blog says this about delivery dates:
Pugsley, the 3.7" tires and the offset spoked Large Marge rims are still on pace for a July arrival​

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
Must be prototypes/preproduction samples. The Surly Blog says this about delivery dates:
Pugsley, the 3.7" tires and the offset spoked Large Marge rims are still on pace for a July arrival​
i read that after I posted this thread. I dont' really NEED the bike till this winter... I'm thinking it would make a fun bike for when the conditions are muddy also. The wide footprint would have minimal impact on the trail, and I know normally narrow tires are better for mud, but 3.7's would pretty much have to work right? :confused:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hummmmmmmmmmmm

shiggy said:
Pat did not say if it was a proto model. I gotta say Shiggy, if ya want to try out those new tires.....ya gotta have a WIDE frame!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.