Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the Surly Instigator frame? Also has anyone ever heard of a company called Transition Bicycle? Any info would be great. also would a Rock Shox Psylo be ok for jumping, urban and light freeride?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can't speak to the Surly. People talk smack about the psylos, but I've seen people using them for all kinds of stuff...maybe not the best fork, but it can do the job. Anyways, my riding buddy just got his Transition Dirtbag and man is that thing sweet. I got to spend about a half hour on it...a few skinnies and hucks...awesome awesome. A bunch of people on the FR/DH board ride Transitions. I'm not sure who has a trail-or-park, which is what I guess you're looking at. All I can say is the guys in charge seem super nice and helpful, are sick riders themselves (watch the vids on the transition site) and I have heard nothing but good things about their bikes. If you have questions, you should call up or email Transition and talk to the guys in charge...they really are very helpful.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Psylo's have an unfair bad rep IMO

I like my Psylo.
But IMO, it's mainly a trail fork that can part time as a lighter weight hucking fork if you are smooth.

The key to getting good performance from a Psylo is to upgrade the stock spring that comes in it. It's majorly undersprung and I think the fork is unfairly judge because many riders don't bother to upgrade springs and ride it stock and then say it's a too soft and that it bottom outs or they shot the internals when they bottomed out the fork.

I am 130 pounds I had to upgrade the springs for jumping and dual stuff. It was fine stock for XC stuff. So I imagine that most riders are heftier than I am so a spring kit upgrade is a must to get good performance.

I've seen the Iron Horse team race dual/4x and jump on Psylos.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had a friend who was actually rather insane but he used to dirt jump and run dual slalom on a Psylo. He said it was kind of flexy but it worked just fine. I have considered running a Psylo but I have a majorly unhealthy hatred of flex.

As for the frames, Surly Instigators are great frames. They are EXTREMELY durable but also very heavy. From what the other people said it sounds like this is a win-win decision. Its just a matter of finding out which one fits your style best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts