Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
941 - 960 of 2382 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Somehow I missed this post...

Awesome description and impression of butterfly bars by hunter

Thanks for that great reply. I was thinking of getting some for my mid 90s rigid mtb-turned-befendered commuter. I have since opted for some surly open bars that I had laying around for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very nice! Just curious, why an Ogre with drop bars? I think, if I were really interested in a rigid 29er with drop bars, I'd go for something like the Salsa Fargo. In fact, I often think of the Ogre and the Fargo as cousins; the Ogre for non-drops, the Fargo for drops, but otherwise similar, and both coming from QBP.
Thanks! I love this bike. I used to own a Fargo, but didn't enjoy the geometry as much. this Ogre fits me perfectly. I had it set up using a flat bar, but it was just not as comfortable. I wanted something for touring, commuting, and gravel grinding/bikepacking. This bike does all that with aplomb.

Plus, it's cheaper than a Fargo. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
When using the stock fork on the troll or ogre, does it transfer a lot of vibration to the bars when compared to something like the LHT fork?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to try taking the rack off and see if it still does it. I'll also have to experiment with shifting my weight while its happening. I weigh 135, so not a lot of weight to throw around.

By "shudder" I mean the front wheel makes rapid left/right turns. Another word might be shimmy. The issue is not in the headset or the hub. Its also not a transfer of road vibration. Almost like there is not enough rake in the front fork/wheel/headtube angles. Think wobbly wheel on the grocery cart at the store. Bike has never been wrecked, banged, jumped, stolen, driven by a teenager, or gone over a cliff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to try taking the rack off and see if it still does it. I'll also have to experiment with shifting my weight while its happening. I weigh 135, so not a lot of weight to throw around.

By "shudder" I mean the front wheel makes rapid left/right turns. Another word might be shimmy. The issue is not in the headset or the hub. Its also not a transfer of road vibration. Almost like there is not enough rake in the front fork/wheel/headtube angles. Think wobbly wheel on the grocery cart at the store. Bike has never been wrecked, banged, jumped, stolen, driven by a teenager, or gone over a cliff.
I know what you're talking about. I have had this problem. I think it is with the weight distribution over the front wheel? Are you running your ogre ss? I used to have tiny flat bars with a very short stem with brake levers only and the ogre fork. I now run surly open bars (twice as heavy) and a stem about 10 cm longer than the old one and with a salsa enabler fork. I no longer have problems with the wheel shaking. I also added about an inch to my headset spacer stack. I have no idea which of these upgrades contributed to no longer having the front wobble like it did. But truly I feel like it's weight distribution. Do you have anything on one side tha might be heavier than the other side of your handlebars? Maybe there isn't enough weight up front to hold everything steady? I know when.i ride with no hands I tend to lean pretty far back and if there is nothing to resist the torque the wheel is trying to put on the fork than it may cause the swaying?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good link Hunter006, I ran across that when I was googling the issue earlier. I'm enrolling in a physics course so I can understand all the dynamics at play :)

There is not any issue when my hands are on the bars, I can go very fast and the bike is very stable. I don't run SS, Jones loop bar, 80 mm stem. From Sheldon's article it sounds like the Ogre (and other Surly frames) are in a perfect storm sort of zone that they have this tendency.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good link Hunter006, I ran across that when I was googling the issue earlier. I'm enrolling in a physics course so I can understand all the dynamics at play :)

There is not any issue when my hands are on the bars, I can go very fast and the bike is very stable. I don't run SS, Jones loop bar, 80 mm stem. From Sheldon's article it sounds like the Ogre (and other Surly frames) are in a perfect storm sort of zone that they have this tendency.
I never had an issue with my hands on the bars (preventing the wheel from shaking). But mine no longer shakes at all. Could it be that the Ogre is built for an 80 mm fork and the Salsa enabler fork is based around a 100 mm fork? Could that change the geometry enough to stop it wobbling?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see the rake on the Enabler is 45 mm, the rake on the Ogre fork is 43 mm. Could be just enough to solve the issue. Do you run a fat tire in the Enabler? I think the issue is more about rake and caster angle than anything.

If one didn't want a fat fork up front, it looks like the ECR might work, offset (rake) is 47 mm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For those that have the jones H bar, how do you like it and how does it compare to the stock bar that ogres used to come with? Thinking about picking one up soon

·
Registered
153 Posts
For those that have the jones H bar, how do you like it and how does it compare to the stock bar that ogres used to come with? Thinking about picking one up soon
Still loving mine, the 710mm loop h-bar. Did 22mi or so of a trail today. Can't compare to the open bar but I like the sweep and the space it has to move around to vary position. Highly recommend the ESI grips, as being able to slide your hands up and down the extensions freely is a really good part of this bar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still loving mine, the 710mm loop h-bar. Did 22mi or so of a trail today. Can't compare to the open bar but I like the sweep and the space it has to move around to vary position. Highly recommend the ESI grips, as being able to slide your hands up and down the extensions freely is a really good part of this bar.
Did you buy the ogre with the h bar? Reason I'm asking is because I was wondering how you decided on the 710. I emailed jones and he was extremely helpful, told me to call him when I get a chance and he will help me with the sizing. And I do plan on getting the esi grips, seem real good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you buy the ogre with the h bar? Reason I'm asking is because I was wondering how you decided on the 710. I emailed jones and he was extremely helpful, told me to call him when I get a chance and he will help me with the sizing. And I do plan on getting the esi grips, seem real good.
No I did a frame up build, originally with drop bars and found that the frame geo didn't work for me with drops. I decided on the 710's because I'm big so the added width option is good for my shoulder width. Also the added inch or so on the extensions just makes for more options sliding hands up and down.

He's super helpful for sure. His advice to me was to adjust the stem size so that the "primary" position, which is riding up close to the cross bar, is the centered and normal position. Sliding back on the extensions should be in closer to let you sit up or for hanging your weight far back over the seat. I'm running a 70mm stem where I had a 100 on for the drops and I'm pretty happy with them in somewhat close like they are.

The ride I did today was a crushed rock surface canal trail, pretty light riding, but had a couple tricky transitions on it with a sharp drop down 20 feet or so on loose blue stone, followed by a sharp climb on the other side that were all rutted out. The Jones bars were really great for that and I wouldn't have liked it much on the drops.

My bars live a poseur life compared to many others, but they are very comfortable for the cruising about that I do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
New Ogre frame delivered – what am I missing ?

New Ogre frame arrived, I open the box to find no BB cable guide fitted and badly scuffed up BB paint work.

I can reason I won’t be looking underneath the BB so much and I don't have to look at it, but it is annoying to see on a brand new frame, more so because its my brand new frame.

Am I wrong to expect to see a fitted cable guide ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes you are, do you mean for the front & rear derailleur?

front goes down the top tube and then down, rear goes down the top tube and down the right hand side seat stay. bear in mind these run a full housing.
hope this helps
cheers
Steve

·
Tires
546 Posts
New Ogre frame arrived, I open the box to find no BB cable guide fitted and badly scuffed up BB paint work.

I can reason I won’t be looking underneath the BB so much and I don't have to look at it, but it is annoying to see on a brand new frame, more so because its my brand new frame.

Am I wrong to expect to see a fitted cable guide ?
You'll also find surface rust inside the downtube gusset, where the powder coating didn't reach. Both my Troll and Ogre came sloppy (with extremely scratched up BB tube) from the factory.

A few years ago, Surly frames were much nicer. They've become sloppy and Surly quality has really diminished, especially their customer service - nonexistent.

941 - 960 of 2382 Posts