Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
641 - 660 of 2383 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
And the Fargo fork has forward facing dropouts, which are better if using disc brakes. If you do try it out, please post photos and your impressions.

·
Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
452 Posts
Has anyone tried a Fargo fork (V1 or V2) on an Ogre? I've reread through this whole thread and elsewhere on the internet, and while there is some speculation, I have not found anyone who has actually tried it.
A mechanic at Performance Bicycles in the U-District (Seattle) has done exactly this; Fargo V2 fork on a Surly Ogre. Stands out because the paint scheme doesn't match up and there's only 4 or so Ogre's running around Seattle at the moment. He had no issues with handling, and did it for the disk brake thing. The weight decrease was rather nice though.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I guess those mounts are an addition for 2013, my 2012 didn't had them.
I have those on my Pugs, they are really cool if you want to mount a rear rack on the fork

·
Registered
11 Posts
Christmas for Me!

Here is my new Ogre build. So far I have made these upgrades to the original bike from parts I had laying around:

-Planet Bike Fenders
-PDW rear rack
- Chris King Headset
-Thomson seatpost, stem
-Surly Woodchipper Handlebars with shimano bar end shifters and Cane creek brake levers
-Broos B-17 narrow
- Arundel SS bottle cages times 3
- Shimano A530 pedals

The next purchase will probably be Schwalbe Big Ben tires then a front rack (probably a Surly), followed by a new front wheel build with generator hub.

It rides well and fits really well with with the Woodchipper bar set up. I am going to lower the stem about 10 to 15 mm but I will probably leave the steerer tube uncut for future aging.

I am very happy with it so far.

Attachments

·
Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
452 Posts

Finally "finished" a bike that I've been designing in my head for the last 3 years, but things have only come good in the last month or so for me to actually start doing this.

1) Son28 (2012) 32H hub laced with 14G straight gauge Wheelsmith blanks. Straight gauge spokes were selected for their higher availability. They're connected to a Pedalpower+ iUniversal cable and Supernova E3 Triple light.
2) Revelate Designs frame bag. Inside is a Pedalpower+ v4i battery, tools & a lock.
3) Rohloff Speedhub (2012) disk brake quick-release axle with external gear mech. I elected to run Delta Axlerodz skewers instead of quick releases as the front hub uses 5mm Allen key heads already and I rather like them, and the existing quick release lever wasn't even close to strong enough.
4) Chris King NoThreadset headset, Thompson stem, butterfly touring bars plus a nice little SRAM bell mounted behind the stem. I also have the Edge 800 mounted on the stem; with the cut steerer tube it allows me to plug a mini-USB from the Pedalpower+ system in to the charging port of the Edge 800 while still keeping the handlebars totally clear. I can run it almost continually without having to plug it in to a charger, the only issue now being running out of storage space on the device for workouts and possibly a little manual management of power. I also have the v4i battery pack in there, which allows me to charge devices at 700 mA & 5V, which is standard USB output.

While the system is charging, the Son28's power is split between the two circuits running in parallel (E3 light & v4i battery) which greatly reduces the effectiveness of the system, so I tend to disconnect parts of the circuit during the darker months. For 3 season bikepacking though, this would work really well, especially if at least 3 hours of riding is done with the headlight turned off (that would be enough to charge a standard cellphone ~70%).

More photos:

·
Registered
839 Posts

Finally "finished" a bike that I've been designing in my head for the last 3 years, but things have only come good in the last month or so for me to actually start doing this.
"thoughtful" doesn't begin to describe this Ogre-for-the-ages. Well done. Can't wait to see where you tour on this setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Folks,

please help me a little bit. I definitely wanna gor for the Ogre!!! I currently have an On One Inbred in XL 29" and it could be "bigger". I'm 6ft 3" and have an inseam of 95,0 cm. And I really don't know whether to go for a 22" or 24" frame.

I know it's hard but what would you do? I consider building it up as an bikepacker Bike with Rohloff and 2.3 tires. It should do good on streets but also on the trail.

Thank you all !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crazy Lion
I've been in communication with the factory. They advise that at 6'8" with a 39" inside leg, the 24" would be 'OK for' me. You'd be advised to try both the 22" and 24".
Best
Mick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Folks,

please help me a little bit. I definitely wanna gor for the Ogre!!! I currently have an On One Inbred in XL 29" and it could be "bigger". I'm and have an inseam of 95,0 cm. And I really don't know whether to go for a 22" or 24" frame.
I am in a somewhat similar situation as yours. I sold my On One Inbred 29 XL frame + the carbon fork (a build I had never finished), right after I tried Surly Karate Monkey (same geometry as Ogre) and realized its versatility and geometry advantages over Inbred for my purposes (and my body physique).

I intend to build my Ogre as a light-use MTB bike, which can be easily and quickly transformed into a heavy duty expedition bike, when the need arises. I rode both (stock Inbred and stock KM) in XL, and even though the effective top tube is somewhat longer on Inbred, the KM geometry felt more comfortable and better suited for longer rides. Both bikes have relatively short wheelbase, but KM felt more stable - something I assign to its longer stem design (as opposed to Inbred). On the other hand, Inbred felt much more livelier and maneuverable on twisty trails. But the main difference (at least for me) was the more upright posture I experienced on KM. The front of the bike feels much higher than on Inbred (see the head tube difference). In no way I want to bash the Inbred. If I were looking for a pure off-roared made of steel, this bike would be my choice. But as a touring bike, the Ogre has much more going for it.

I am also 6ft 3" tall with an inseam of 90 cm. The XL size (KM/Ogre) fits me like a glove. I have shorter arms though (my arms span is only 183 cm), so if your arms are anywhere near as long as your legs, you may feel more comfortable on the 24" frame.

Good luck with your choice. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Sea Monster,

thank you very much for your Input! It is definitely helpful!!

I absolutely agree with you, the Inbred is a very very good bike. I love it for it's versatility. I's good on trails but good as an "offroad- tourer" as well!

But on the other side it's front is just too low for my needs and I'm currently running it with 60mm spacer, 110mm stem and 35mm rise + 30mm rise bar.

From the end of the seat tube to the very top of my saddle it's 30cm ... so it could be "bigger".

But I am concerned whether the stand over of the Ogre is too much for me (81cm inbred vs ~ 87cm Ogre). But since your inseam is 5cm less than mine and 24" fits you perfect I'm pretty much sure to got for it since my span (from index to index finger) is 192cm

thanks so far ... I'm looking forward getting one :D

best regards so far !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh I still have one question ( I searched a lot but wasn't able to find any information!)

why can I only mount a 160 mm Disc. What are the limiting factors? I mean an adaptor could easily home made to fit a 180mm (Rohloff - that's the reason I'm asking. I have a few of them in 180 lying around) Disc! Does it collide with the frame or is the mount not firm enough to handle the bigger leverage from running a 180mm disc?

Please let me know. I'm interested in what's behind this limitation to 160mm

thanks all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
... and I'm currently running it with 60mm spacer, 110mm stem and 35mm rise + 30mm rise bar.

But I am concerned whether the stand over of the Ogre is too much for me (81cm inbred vs ~ 87cm Ogre). But since your inseam is 5cm less than mine and 24" fits you perfect I'm pretty much sure to got for it since my span (from index to index finger) is 192cm
Hold on! I test rode KM XL = 22" frame. The 24" frame is XXL. Nevertheless, if your 21" Inbred frame felt shortish even with the 110mm stem, then Ogre in XL (22") won't feel any longer, since the effective top tube is 8mm shorter. I rode the 21" Inbred with a 80mm stem and the 22" KM with a 110mm stem. And yes, it was more crowded around the jewels area on KM than on Inbred, but nothing uncomfortable. You will have over 6cm clearance on the 24" frame (more than I have on the 22" frame). That should suffice. Don't you have any possibility to sit on KM? They don't make them in 24", but you'd get a pretty good idea sitting on the 22" frame whether you need the XXL frame.

I have no idea why the design allows only for 160mm disc brakes. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I weigh around 100 kg, and BB7 160mm disc brakes give me all the stopping power I need. I will run 160mm rear and 180mm front disc on my Ogre build.

Good luck!

641 - 660 of 2383 Posts