Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2390 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's the same as the Karate Monkey if I'm not mistaken, just different drop-outs and braze-ons.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I can't imagine it not being suspension corrected, aren't all their mountain bikes suspension corrected now?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I think an Enabler would be a good fit for the Ogre. Not even to run as a fat front, but just for the braze-ons and for the extra rear hub in case your freehub dies on some crazy cross country/cross continent/cross world tour.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Pretty sure the Ogre just rendered the KM obsolete (this coming from someone who LOVES the Karate MOnkey). Took the canti mounts off the KM, but still on the ogre. So the Ogre is same geometry, and just has more stuff. Can still run geared or SS, suspended or not, discs of v-brakes, etc... etc...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pretty sure the Ogre just rendered the KM obsolete (this coming from someone who LOVES the Karate MOnkey). Took the canti mounts off the KM, but still on the ogre. So the Ogre is same geometry, and just has more stuff. Can still run geared or SS, suspended or not, discs of v-brakes, etc... etc...
The new KM supposedly has a lighter fork, but if I wanted really light I'd go with carbon anyway.

I think an Enabler would be a good fit for the Ogre. Not even to run as a fat front, but just for the braze-ons and for the extra rear hub in case your freehub dies on some crazy cross country/cross continent/cross world tour.
I would have liked to see the Ogre come with the mid-blade rack braze-ons AND the extra water bottle / Anything cage mounts...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good thing I checked their blog, I was about to pimp out my '05 KM for trail duty....

I think I found my new monstercross slash trail work slash bob with chainsaw hauler. At least with Surly products the bob trailer won't make the rear end flex like the old salsa dos niner - she's got a shimmy on the descents........

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Fargo fork?

I would have liked to see the Ogre come with the mid-blade rack braze-ons AND the extra water bottle / Anything cage mounts...
What about running a Fargo fork on an ogre? I think the geometry might be ever so slightly different but I doubt it's enough to totally ruin the handling.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I like this idea, run a SS hub in the front and you always have an escape from catastrophe. Plus the enabler fork is nice. When I had one on my SS, I think that was the first time in my life I was excited about a rigid fork.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if the Ogre complete will have thumb shifters (which the Ogre complete in the photo on the website appears to have) or the Deore rapid fire shifters listed in the specs. I am hoping for thumb shifters -- I am a big fan. I have a feeling that I am going to end up with an Ogre complete --- too hard to resist and I think I almost have my wife on board for me getting one more bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ogre

As a tall guy, I like the look of this bike. I also like the features.

How would this bike work as a technical trail bike set up with a 100mm front fork?
Is this supposed to be more of an off road touring bike or is it suitable for extenisve xc / trail riding?

E

·
Registered
674 Posts
It has classic XC geometry with a slightly longer rear end (well, not long for a 29er). It would do XC pretty well I bet, technical trails pretty well but not fast. It's meant to do everything satisfactorily, so it's not going to be outstanding at anything (except practicality).

Basically if you want to ride trails fast, it's probably not a great choice but otherwise can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
bottles

A third bottle cage would've been nice as well. Still, it looks pretty intriguing.
Yeah, I don't really know why they didn't do that on the Troll and Ogre. It makes total sense. Still, both are winners and a nice options for all-road touring bikes.

·
100+ wheel-build club
200 Posts
I've got a nice "spare" aluminum "all-around" mtb. with full XT in super shape. Hmmm...its about to get nakedified!!!:eek:!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I'm thinking I might pick up an Ogre for my around town/child puller bike that I'm currently sort of using my Fargo for. Drop bars aren't great for that, though... my boy can put too much leverage on my bike with his trail-a-bike, so a wider bar would be nice to counter that. Rear V brakes, just because I can, 1x something setup, the wide bar, maybe my Fargo V2 fork on the front to get the extra bottle mounts... I think that will be a pretty nice setup.

·
100+ wheel-build club
200 Posts
I put 40mm rise Surly "Open Bars" on my Pugsley AND Big Dummy. I'm 6'3 and like leverage. These bars are wide enough, relatively stiff and have nice, smart, swoopy angles to them. Viva Surly! Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 2390 Posts