FSA carbon bars
Ritchey grips
XTR brakes
FSA carbon post
XTR pedals
Old White Industries carbon fork
Rabbit holes set up tubeless

So far its about 10 smiles per mile

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Yellow Electronic device Display device Technology Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is it me... or do the Knards not do too well when cornering in loose dirt? On yesterday's ride I had them give out on me a few times - they had more pressure in them than normal (16) but I laid the bike out twice in loose dirt/gravel. Unusual.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
I'm scratching my head.....

...as to why there's a threaded hole under the bottom bracket? It's a necessity on my Karate Monkey for securing the guide for cables, since it has downtube routing. But this bike has top tube routing, so why would they bother? I was cringing on my ride today after looking below. It's a good thing I had the forethought to thread in a bolt with some loctite, just hoping it seals well enough as I know I'll be going through plenty of water. Does your frame have a drilled BB?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Please note that it's always a good idea to have a drain hole under the BB shell. Whatever you do, if it rains water WILL get in via the seatpost, or elsewhere if the BB is submerged. If there's a drain hole it will escape and things will dry out. If not, things will rust.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Is it me... or do the Knards not do too well when cornering in loose dirt? On yesterday's ride I had them give out on me a few times - they had more pressure in them than normal (16) but I laid the bike out twice in loose dirt/gravel. Unusual.
I haven't noticed this at all. Obviously they have less traction in loose than hardpack than other tires, but I've found them to have better traction that a regularly sized 29er tire in all the conditions I've ridden them in.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I haven't noticed this at all. Obviously they have less traction in loose than hardpack than other tires, but I've found them to have better traction that a regularly sized 29er tire in all the conditions I've ridden them in.
I could just be unlucky. I, like you, have noticed the kick ass traction in every other condition.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They corner very poorly in anything loose, especially when they start to wear. Mine lost the second row of side knobs pretty early on, and they've been sketchy ever since. Looking forward to the Dirt Wizard.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question for you, or I'm looking for advice.

I'm looking for a bike that's an alternative to my high-tech trail bike, which is a cannondale rush, 650b'ed with a lefty, blah blah blah etc. Previously I had a scott scale 29er, which I really liked as it was like a friggin' rocketship, but sold because I liked the added traction and butt-friendliness of a full suspension bike.

With a newborn in my life, I've sold off the DH bike and would love to replace it with another bike that's fun to ride on New England trails, that can double duty as a bike path cruiser with the wife and kid in tow, that might offer up a different feel and fun/playful kind of ride on the same trails that the rush eats up, and maybe can even suffer through the occasional slog to work, though I have a road bike that would be better for that.

I picked up a Surly pugsley for a really nice price, and I thought that it would be a great fit, but I found that the thing was a pig in stock format, and I would have to invest a lot of money in new wheels, tires, tubes, etc. to get it where I wanted, so I sold it for a profit. I liked the way that it rode, it was a more casual ride than my rush, much slower, but fun in its own way...but it just sucked on the short steep climbs that plague the trails around boston.

Anyways, now I'm considering the Krampus, as it'll have the added rollover of the 29er wheels, which I dig, and is a rigid, which will be an alternative to the full squish, but adds the fat tires in the mix. Do you think it's a decent fit for what I want to do with it? I don't mind a little added weight, but the puglsey was just a tank.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Anyways, now I'm considering the Krampus, as it'll have the added rollover of the 29er wheels, which I dig, and is a rigid, which will be an alternative to the full squish, but adds the fat tires in the mix. Do you think it's a decent fit for what I want to do with it? I don't mind a little added weight, but the puglsey was just a tank.
I have a Pug and a Krampus. The Krampus is a lot less tank like than the Pugs, but it remains a rigid bike. If you can make peace with that aspect it will be fun, playful and a different ride than your FS bike.

·
Let's Ride!
793 Posts
spent a bit of time on the trails over the weekend and what a fun bike, i've been on full suspension AM for a couple of years so I was reminded of "rigid" a few times and my elbows/shoulders are feeling it, but what a blast........it truly is a big giant BMX bike to me..........then today I did my 8 mile on the pavement commute to work and again, it's just a fun bike..........I truly don't think this bike is "intended" for anything other than fun........it jumps quite well, bounces through rock gardens, climbs really well, and is FUN! I'm happy thus far for sure!!

·
Let's Ride!
793 Posts
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel threw my trusty old Brooks saddle on, matched the pedals, and waiting for gorilla tape to arrive so I can covert to tubeless........ Still loving the geo on this bike, it's so fun and responsive for such a beast of a bike.....need to get a shorter stem too......then it'll be golden!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been riding my Krampus for a few months now, haven't even touched the Moonlander, and actually ended up taking my Mojo HD apart for the winter. I didn't expect this bike to be so much fun, and at times it's hard to believe it's actually fully rigid. The tires are a nice match of rolling resistance & suspension/traction. Riding it with a 780mm handlebar and 50mm stem, and it feels great wrestling it around the trails :thumbsup:

Does anyone have experience with the 29" Ice Spiker Pro studded tires on the Rabbit Hole rims?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the 29" Ice Spiker Pro studded tires on the Rabbit Hole rims?

I'm using them currently, they fit nicely - once you've gotten past the struggle to get them on, its a little bit of a tight fit getting the bead over the rim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rode my custom 29er plus (based on Krampus geo) for a 4 hour MTB enduro - course was lots of woodland singletrack with loose, peaty soil, lots of roots as well as the occasional muddy patch. I was able to keep-up with the full-sus 29ers on the faster sections and yet was able to climb the steep ramps that had them scrabbling for traction. There was a straight section with a 45 degree bank to one side - I could simply ride along the bank to get past slower riders, people following couldn't hold the line.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
i ordered the wrong size moots post, hence the Thomson :madman:

mango inset 7 en-route :thumbsup:
great pics!

currently building up a krampus and have a few questions.

running a 32 up front?

any tyre rub in the lowest gear?

have you considered the orange rim strips? might really pop with the mango hubs.

planning on going tubeless?

surly recommends a bottom EC headset, wondering why you went with zero stack. not being critical/judging, just curious because that's actually something i was considering doing to steepen the hta a bit. i generally prefer frames with a steep hta, and though less than a degree it may be apparent. especially with the larger tyres. you mentioned you have an I7 (EC) on the way so if you wouldn't mind reporting back any noticeable difference between the two that be great!

may seem like "the princess and the pea" but i've altered the hta by a degree or less and it made the bike just "work". had it go the other way too.... :lol:

and be sure to post up some pics with the mango I7 and moots. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
its a 28t ring, not noticed any rub

i had the zero stack sat doing nothing so threw it on to get it built

i might go tubeless but not yet, ive not seen the orange rim strips in the flesh, but think it might be over doing it

2041 - 2060 of 5024 Posts