• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just got into mountain biking this summer, and am already looking to get a better hardtail bike (currently riding a Raleigh Talus Sport 29). I live in Southeast Ohio, so terrain is mostly single track dirt trails with rocks/roots... nothing too crazy. I won't really be doing any drops or jumps with it. I'm 37 years old, 170lbs and 6ft tall. Budget for the new bike is ~$1500 or less, new or used.

I've been reading a lot here on this forum, and have narrowed down my list to a few bikes that seem to come recommended. The list includes Giant Fathom 2, Kona Honzo, Trek Roscoe 7, Santa Cruz Chameleon, and at the top of the list would be the Salsa Timberjack SLX. As bikes are hard to come by new though, I'm a bit limited to what is available on the local used market.

That said, someone locally is selling both a Surly Krampus and a Surly Karate Monkey, both size L. I know these bikes are more geared towards bikepacking, but I've read that some people say they work great as trail bikes. I'm a little worried about the rigid fork though, having never ridden one.

So, my question is... should I consider the Surly Krampus/Karate Monkey, wait for a Salsa Timberjack SLX to pop up locally, or consider something else?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.