Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise I was trying to avoid posting a "help me" thread, but I was having some trouble figuring out a couple things during my research and wanted some clarification before I wasted my money.

I currently have an 8 or 9 year old SS Karate Monkey. I would like to place an SRAM X9 10 speed cassette (11-36t), so that I can start trail riding. I assume I will have to replace the rearhub, however the one thing I was having trouble figuring out, is would I also have to replace my rim? I have attached pictures of my rear drivetrain and in one of them you can see how the spokes bow out to the right side, to meet the gear. Will the new hub make more space between the frame and the spokes, or would I have to replace the rim to get more space.

Sorry, I am sure these are very elementary school level questions. Thank you for the help

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
34,598 Posts
The labor involved with lacing a new wheel (along with the new spokes you'll most likely need) means it'd be a better use of your money to just buy a whole wheel rather than trying to lace a new hub into what you have.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The labor involved with lacing a new wheel (along with the new spokes you'll most likely need) means it'd be a better use of your money to just buy a whole wheel rather than trying to lace a new hub into what you have.
While I agree with the general sentiment here, the actual answer to his question is "no." A wheel can be dished properly with the new spokes so that it will work with a cassette and his dropouts.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The hub on your bike at the moment is a Surly Ultra New Disc Freewheel hub.
I would agree with Harold, that for the money that new spokes, new hub, and labor to build into your existing rim, it would be easier and possibly more cost effective to just buy a new wheel. You should have plenty of good options in the $150-200 range, of course you could go much higher, but as you said, it is an 8/9 year old Karate Monkey.

And the added bonus of this route is that you will have a spare singlespeed wheel to hold onto, or you could sell the wheel to offset the cost of the new wheel you bought.

It is "doable" to lace new hub/spokes into your existing rim, but it may not be the most cost effective method for you. Only you can make the answer though, we can only provide insight.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
By the end of all this, it may end up being more expense than the bike is worth.
Depends on how much you spend ;)
To be honest though, there is a slight cult following for those original Karate Monkeys. If I found the right priced one local to me, I would probably snatch it up. I don't need it by any means, but I miss the 2 I had before, so...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.