Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thinking of using a KM rigid fork on the front of an On One 29er Inbred instead of the usual On One 29er Carbon Fork route.

Would it ride strange or are the 2 forks essentially the same except the materials?

I suppose the steel fork would be heavier and less "bump absorbing" than the carbon one, but I would imagine that I would have less concerns about thrashing it versus a carbon fork.

And steel does damp some vibrations on the trail versus say an aluminium fork right??

Thanks

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
There will be a slight difference in handling, but not significant or worth worrying about IMHO. The On One carbon fork is 2mm taller and has 4mm more rake.

The different materials can all be built into stiff or soft riding forks, but as a general trend carbon mtb forks do absorb more vibration than other rigid forks. There are some very smooth riding aluminum forks out there, but aluminum rigids are rare and some do ride very stiff.

Steel is a pretty good place to start, especially if you dont want to pay for the more expensive carbon forks. I haven't tried the Karate Monkey fork myself, but the comments on this forum indicate that it rides a little bit harsher than other steel forks. Lot's of people enjoy them greatly too though. Salsa's seem to be well liked for ride quality for a budget steel fork.

More important than any of that, though, is good fit so your arms aren't too stressed and in the wrong position, keeping your arms loose instead of tensing up, comfy grips, and a good high volume front tire setup.

I use a similar steel rigid fork on my Inbred and it handles great. Love the feel of that bike with that fork!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Check out the Salsa Cromoto grande. I like the feel quite a bit, it's lighter than the KM fork by around a quarter lb (1.08 to 1.18kg)

·
highly visible
3,271 Posts
I have ridden both the KM fork and the Salsa CroMoto Grande.

The KM fork is particularly stiff as steel forks go. If you weigh 250, it will probably ride just fine. If you're under 180 (as I am), you will find it to be VERY unforgiving.

The Salsa CroMoto Grande is MUCH more comfortable IME. And not very expensive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. I have more or less decided to go for the cromoto grande....

I figured that I'd be more confortable with the forward facing dropouts vs the rearward facing ones on the KM fork.... just some paranoia about the wheel being pushed backwards and out of the dropouts when it hits a bump at speed.... maybe its just me but the forward facing dropouts seem like a much more secure alternative...:D

In addition, I suppose the stainless dropouts on the grande are a big plus point as well...

Sorry matt, I'm overseas and shipping a fork in from the states might not cut it unless the price was really low... :D

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
km fork = crowbar

i've got one that i rode a couple of times because it came with a frame that i do like, after buying some others i'm still looking for my favorite rigid fork but that's the harshest so far by far

·
Registered
628 Posts
Unreal Cycles had the OnOne steel fork there not long back.

If this is abudgetry decision, then I agree with not spending more than you'd like. But if it is a fear of the carbon fork failing, I'd say buy it. I'm heavy and a bit of a carbonaphobe, but just closed my eyes and went with the OnOne carbon fork. I do like it.

I did the information overload thing over the rigid fork and can't remember a bad word about the fork you chose - Salsa Cromoto.

Cheers and happy trails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts