Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether to get a KM or Ogre. I am really looking for a do it all bike and the Ogre seems to be able to do anything, but Im just not the biggest fan of that green. I want to run a rear rack, which both can do, and possibly fenders, but I don't know if i can do this on a KM. Can I? I know i probably won't ever use a trailer so the ogre being able to do that doesn't really make a difference to me. Basically I'm trying to find any reasons why i should spend more money on an Ogre. I don't want to buy a KM then in the future want to be able to do something with it that the ogre could have been able to do. Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I'm really trying to say is I am cheap and don't have a whole lot to spend on this project. I don't want to spend an extra $60 on the Ogre if I don't need it. What can the Ogre do that the KM can't?

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
If you are cheap, and money is a factor, I'd go with an On-One Inbred. I love Surly's too, but I think IF cost is a factor I'd go for an Inbred at half the price. The 2011's might be on sale now.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Seriously, $60 is going to sway you from buying a frame over another? :eek:ut: Dude, that's like 2 chains if you get a good deal, more like 1 and some maybe disc pads you're quibbling over there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recently bought an Ogre so I may be a bit bias but here''s my two cents worth. KM is single speed as it comes. Ogre is geared, worth the cost difference even if you want to run single speed later. Much more expensive to go geared later on the KM. Ogre can use fenders, racks, anything cages or just let your imagination wander. I don't plan fenders on mine for now but like the option. The green sets it apart from anything else out there right now and I think it is sweet. I have riden the Ogre on single track set up as in the picture as well as road rides and the weight with racks and all isn't that noticeable. ( I also ride a Pugsley so weight for me isn't a big deal) It's a really fun bike as would be a KM. Ogre just a bit more everything bike IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously, $60 is going to sway you from buying a frame over another? :eek:ut: Dude, that's like 2 chains if you get a good deal, more like 1 and some maybe disc pads you're quibbling over there.
Yeah it's going to sway me if it's spending money on something I don't need. Sorry i don't have 5 grand to spend on a bike.

As far as used bikes go, I have been looking, but I'm just starting to get impatient. I don't have anything to ride right now so I just want to get something as soon as I can.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only real difference between the Ogre and KM is that the Ogre has all the same touring braze-ons as the Troll and canti-pegs and the KM doesn't. And the complete KM is SS and the complete Ogre is geared. That's really about it. So unless you think you'll want to run V-brakes, get the KM and be happy.

Your low-cost option is to scour Craigslist and e-bay for a used KM frame. They are out there. A lot of riders started out 29er-dom on a Monkey and then moved on to something else as new 29er designs got more and more refined.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went the other way and jumped on the Monkey because it had less stuff. Built a 1x9 (still waiting for a back ordered part) I still dig the Ogre but I didn't want brake choices. I want discs only. It’s a less is more concept. I you have ideas of a workhorse bike the ogre is your baby. I too wince at that ugly ass green. Of course my rigs are nothing to write home to Mom about. And that Pic of the Green Ogre all tricked out looks kind of cool I must admit.
Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
But you're talking grand, you're talking a measly $60 between a frame you're maybe so-so on and one you want. As others have said, look for a used KM if all you're missing from the new ones are the old canti boses. You prob blow $60 easily buying a couple after work drinks on a Friday.
Yeah it's going to sway me if it's spending money on something I don't need. Sorry i don't have 5 grand to spend on a bike.

As far as used bikes go, I have been looking, but I'm just starting to get impatient. I don't have anything to ride right now so I just want to get something as soon as I can.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm on my 2nd KM. I had one, sold it to a friend and regretted it since I did. I love that bike.I've been running it ss, and just switched to 1x9. As far as rack and fenders, sure. With fenders you need to be creative. On my rack (not installed on bike yet) I have a "Rat tail" fender strapped to teh underside, its' been a reliable solution I've used on my ss cross bike (mostly used for commuting) for a few years. As far as a front fender, my solution was Mucky Nutz. Simple, cheap, removable. Sure it's not full wrap but it keeps most of the crud off me.
My KM eats up singletrack and keeps wanting more, it's been a great bike to commute on (soon building commute specific wheels with schwalbe super moto tires). For my needs it's been a do everything bike. And I'd gladly set it up to go bikepacking and touring.
I would love one thing additional, and thats a wish for the fork to be able to mount anything cages. At somepoint I may have to source a salsa enabler fork, so I can do that.
I've not ridden an ogre so I can only offer a bias toward the KM,
Overall what ever Surly you get, you'll love it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I found a pretty good deal on a slightly used km and I'm probably going to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you can find a 2011 or older Km then it will do everything that the Ogre will do, plus be a great actual mtb. If you get a 2012 KM is basicaly a dedicated MTB that can be pressed into commuting. The 2011 KM were designed to be a swiss army knife, Geared or ss, Rigid or suspended, disc or Canties, big 2.5 tires or 35cc cross tires, flat bar or drop bar.
when they designed the Ogre a lot of these features were no longer needed on the KM so the KM "lost" some features but became more streamlined in terms of a MTB.
I would choose, have chosen a KM but the ogre is the way to go if you want to do city, touring, trial.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Coleman

used an axom rear disc adaptor, front
'nice rack" bolted directly with no modifications
this karate monkey has been a mountain beast , roadie beast, trailer pulling cruiser and now hauler beast!
I really wish they would bring back the coleman campstove green. I ahve a chum red KM but I miss the CCG. Great setup btw.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If $60 is that important, then you should look at purchasing an entire pre-built bike, or a far cheaper frame.

I owned an early KM. It was my first 29er and I was a fan of it. Still not a huge Surly fan overall. As other people have already stated, the Ogre is geared which to me is important. The KM has the rear brake issue that really bothered me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts