Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running my KM single for the summer but thinking of going with two rings up front. What is the widest range you can run given the long track dropouts? I am looking at 38x30. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
The major pain is that you will also have to re-adjust any rear brake each time you change gearing.
I know this is not an answer to your question...but I would consider a Paul Melvin tensioner which will handle a max 10 tooth diff. and allow your brake set-up to stay-put.
You could shift it manually or use a front der. to keep your fingers clean. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I don't know about that big of a change. I'm assuming you mean without changing the chain. You may have to run a 34. Make sure the wheel is all the way forward in the 38. I run a 34 in the front and one wheelset with a 18T freewheel and another with a 14T fixed. Smaller rings have less of a change in chain length.

Or you could use two master links in the chain and remove the other links and not have to use a tensioner like Om Flyer suggested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.