Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
If you didn't own a fat bike, which of these two bikes would you buy?

Ice Cream Truck or Moonlander?

Why?
Depends on your needs. Pure snow adventure bike - Moonlander. Year around toy - ICT

You will appreciate the geometry of the moony when you are several hours into a snow ride and you will appreciate the geometry of ICT when you are railing dirt trails. Or at least that is my understanding, I have never ridden the ICT but have riddent thousands of miles on my moony on snow. You can do everything on both but if you but the one for your priorities, you wont find your self wishing for something different. I don't ride my moony on dirt, I have other bikes better suited and much more fun for that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good for Surly for understanding there is a need for multi purposes fat-bikes and to hone in on improving the performances for all. Everyone's situations, conditions, physical size & strengths vary. And .. not everyone who wants a fat bike is a guy.
IMO .. the more choices we have the better off we will be.

And I just saw this on Facebook ..

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

"Full suspension fat-bike at NAHBS. Using a proven rear suspension design from Dave Levy at Ti Cycles, a version of this bike will be available in limited production down the trail a bit."

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's hard to compare a moonlander to a bike that hasn't been released. The moonlander lets you switch front and back wheels and has a proven track record of solid performance. I just wish it was a little longer in the top tube.

If the question is whether you should get a moonlander now or wait for an ice cream truck then I would say to look at other 190mm frame options. The ice cream truck is coming with a press fit bb and will be between $2,400 and $2,700 depending on the version you want. There is a lot of competition in that price range and you may be able to find a better value in another brand. Also, while I like the idea of a longer top tube on the ice cream truck, I can't overlook the press fit bottom bracket so it will be a no go for me.

OP, is there a reason you are limiting your search to these two bikes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, is there a reason you are limiting your search to these two bikes?
I am not limiting my search to these two bikes.

I just want a better understanding of the differences between these two bikes.

In other words, I want to understand the advantages of the Ice Cream Truck compared to the Moonlander. Likewise, I want to understand the advantages of the Moonlander compared to the Ice Cream Truck.

The advantages and disadvantages of each bike is not clear to me because I am a novice.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just wondering why Surly went with the press fit BB ??
Unlike the maybe 900 other manufactures that went to PF for no real apparent reason, in this case it is to use a proprietary BB for very wide crank arm spread. It could be a real problem if the proprietary parts aren't long lasting, but not really just because of the PF part.

Who knows without riding the thing, but I'd guess the slacker GEO might be easier to keep on line at speed (ICT). This winter the ability to stay in the skinny path has been the factor between riding and walking many times for me. Many times it has meant much more than traction to propel.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
If you didn't own a fat bike, which of these two bikes would you buy?

Ice Cream Truck or Moonlander?

Why?
I'd get the Ice Cream Truck. The main reason that i sold my Pugsley was the geometry. The ICT's slackened head and st angles address that and make it more like a proper mountain bike than a tarted up and fattened touring bike. Now, if they could just do something about weight and frame flex...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really like the geo of the ice cream truck - for any kind of riding, including snow, where the slacker head angle should calm the front's tendency to wander down a bit. It's following the general trend in mountain bikes over the last few years, and should be a bit more stable and calmer to ride.

On the other hand, I have a rear wheel in my moonie built around a rohloff, which I'd hate to give up. Other parts I can't swap over include a custom phil's BB to get the cranks where they need to be, and my fat lefty's clamps fit a 1 1/8" head tube, which wouldn't fit the ICT. And I'm plenty happy with the moonlander - I don't see a reason to upgrade for me.

If I was buying new and didn't want an IGH I'd get an ICT.

·
1,711 Posts

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Big thing is, the ICT doesn't exist yet. So it is simultaneously the greatest bike ever (STEEL! 190! AGGRESSIVE!) and the worst bike ever (OMG, PRESS FIT IS TEH SUCK! SURLY IS SELLING OUT! IT'S A BOAT ANCHOR!). And it will stay that way until it's released and someone gets a couple hundred miles on it and can say what those numbers actually add up to.

It is pointless to guess what it's really like. You can look at the numbers, you can look at the components and get an idea, but none of that means anything until you can swing a leg over it and try it for yourself.

I've talked to folks who knew that they wanted a moonlander because OMG GIANT TIRES, took one out for a ride and got something else. Because the numbers and the online experts mean nothing until you see if it works for you.

so, don't even worry about it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd get the Ice Cream Truck. The main reason that i sold my Pugsley was the geometry. The ICT's slackened head and st angles address that and make it more like a proper mountain bike than a tarted up and fattened touring bike. Now, if they could just do something about weight and frame flex...
Interesting. One of the things that has compelled me to stay with my Pugsley is the geometry. Feels just about perfect to me. Another reason I've stayed is because I really appreciate the compliant ride quality (flex).

I've ridden what you're calling proper MTB geo, and they've never felt as capable on very technical trails and the chunk as the old Pugsley does:

Yep, even with a stem longer than 50mm and bars that are narrower than 5 feet. Guess it just depends on where and how you ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Moonlander, and have been told I ride it like a BMX bike. I was interested in seeing the ICT when it was announced. My LBS told me that everyone that rode it at the trade show loved it, and it was much more playful that the Moonlander. But he also said, because of the way I ride my Moonlander, the ICT might be too twitchy and jumpy for my tastes/style. Yes, I do ride my Moonlander all year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.