Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some information on Surly hubs. I'm going to order a set of wheels for my new singlespeed and I'd like to not spend a fortune on the hubs. The price really looks right but I can't find much information on them. In my price range my other option would be the Shimano XT centerlock hubs. Are the Surly's a better option?

·
Registered
246 Posts
They're decent hubs. Being SS specific they will make a marginally stronger wheel (not really important, but an nice bonus). To me, it comes down two one question: do you change your rear cog/freewheel often?

If you do, you are better off with the XTs, or another hub with a freehub body. If you don't, go with the slight benefit of strength and stiffness that the SS-specific surly hubs will give you. A cog is cheaper than a freewheel, as well as easier and faster to change.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice hubs

The surly hubs are quite nice.

Plusses
cheap
nice engagement with a white industries freewheel
easy to find parts
zero durability issues for me

Minuses
A little hard to get all the side to side play out of them--http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582585
harder to change gearing than freehubs
heavy

I actually don't find it THAT hard to change a freewheel out. It's mostly having the tools-either a huge breaker bar or a nice clamp.
You do need a white industries freewheel--acs and shimanos are pretty bad

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Surly hubs with an ACS freewheel on my SS. They have seen a lot of use and abuse and very little maintenance over the last four years. The attached picture tells you how much I clean my workhorse of a ride. If mud is caked on, I'll chip it off once it's dry, so I don't have to carry the weight until it falls off. Otherwise I just ride the dirt off.

I have only ever adjusted the bearings once on the rear wheel and they're nice and smooth with 0 play. As for the ACS freewheel, it just needs to be flushed and relubed every so often (no removal required) and it just keeps on turning. Low bling, but who needs bling? I just want to ride and not have to deal with maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't forget to figure in the cost of the freewheel when deciding between hubs, not that it will give you that much of a difference in price. FWIW I just had a set built up with flows and love them so far.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, so it looks like the Surly's win. They sound like they will be just what I need. Can you please tell me though what the problems are with the Shimano and ACS freewheels and what make the WI freewheels as good as everyone says they are. Also, can I keep my Shimano chain or do I need a different one with these freewheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.