Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Unless there's a sale, it seems the online prices are the same as the LBS. For instance, I was thinking of getting another Cross Check, it's $500 everywhere.
True, but if you look at previous year's offerings off season you might see a deal. The fatties are priced better for instance. If I go to either of the LBSs I frequent there isn't much of any deal to be had at all. Finally, the CC is a staple of the fleet and its Spring. I'm not surprised you didn't find a deal anywhere. QBP doesn't have many sales and their products are not likely to be part of website wide sales either. It's just how they do business. Remember the uproar when they halved the cost for the green Pugsley a few years back? Customers were super happy, shops not so much...

Really good deal on the Moonlit Swampus if you ride a small.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm wondering if shops across the country will now start shipping them to customers if they have any frameset stock of their own. I've been looking for a new old stock, sz large Moonlander or Instigator frame and am holding out hope they're out there, hanging from a shop wall waiting for me to buy it. lol

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Unless there's a sale, it seems the online prices are the same as the LBS. For instance, I was thinking of getting another Cross Check, it's $500 everywhere.
My track record for getting a LBS to successfully process a special order is pretty low so being able to buy online is great even without a cost savings.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good point. And it does chaff my hide a bit when the LBS's "service" is to open the box and hand me the frame. I can usually do that all by myself.

My track record for getting a LBS to successfully process a special order is pretty low so being able to buy online is great even without a cost savings.

·
Registered
622 Posts
First Surly frame I bought, the shop where I asked said they would order it, but it better be right, because I was stuck with it. They did not seem inclined to place an order and less inclined to provide any service beyond that, so I ordered on-line. That shop eventually started carrying Surlys on the floor, so I guess they changed their tune.

Second Surly frame, they had stopped selling on-line, but in the intervening time a really good bike shop had opened up. I didn't mind dealing with them at all, and will happily buy future bikes through them when possible. But I still think it's good to sell on-line. I have a good bike shop now, but even in a medium sized city that wasn't always the case. Where I grew up, you had to go pretty far out of your way to find any bike shop, and if they were no good, well, they were the only option for 20 miles. I'm glad Surly has backed off on that policy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh man Cassa, I just saw a frame yesterday? in bike parts on Minneapolis craigslist and its gone today. Have you asked your local shops?
You bet I have, and I've been scouring craigslist (in MN none the less!) and must have missed it!

That's a good point. And it does chaff my hide a bit when the LBS's "service" is to open the box and hand me the frame. I can usually do that all by myself.
Exactly. I'll be the first to say I go to my local shops a great deal and purchase things from complete bikes to parts to frame up builds. However, on line shopping is a nice option to have when you're collecting parts for a future build.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The common reason to shop through a LBS is "service"... but that's the point, there's no service they're giving me when I buy a frame.

Serious question...what kind of service do you want when ordering a frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,945 Posts
There's so much LBS hate in this thread. I can't believe there's so many bad bike shops out there.

For the record, they're not all pure evil. Good bike shops do exist.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Serious question...what kind of service do you want when ordering a frame?
If I was at a brick and mortar store:

1. know something about the frame you are selling so I don't have to educate you
2. be able to rapidly inform me about stock and colour options as well as delivery times
3. actually place the order with your supplier the same day or next day after I ask you to do so
4. order the correct item [ie. size, colour. model, etc...]
5. know enough about the product you are selling to know if you got what I asked for including the small parts that come with a frame
6. get the frame in when you said you would and if there are delivery issues proactively keep me updated
7. inspect the frame when it comes in and if there are problems get that process started early so it's not something I have to make you aware of later on
8. deal with warranty issues as they arise

In my experience about the only item I have a little hope of getting from the list above is #4 and I'm not super confident of that.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If I was at a brick and mortar store:

1. know something about the frame you are selling so I don't have to educate you
2. be able to rapidly inform me about stock and colour options as well as delivery times
3. actually place the order with your supplier the same day or next day after I ask you to do so
4. order the correct item [ie. size, colour. model, etc...]
5. know enough about the product you are selling to know if you got what I asked for including the small parts that come with a frame
6. get the frame in when you said you would and if there are delivery issues proactively keep me updated
7. inspect the frame when it comes in and if there are problems get that process started early so it's not something I have to make you aware of later on
8. deal with warranty issues as they arise
My bike buying experience includes exactly what you have listed here every single time. I have purchased many Salsa and Surly frames/bikes from a shop in Albany, NY and what you itemize here is always part of my buying experience. It is fun and there are no surprises. They even do "layaway" for me when my discretionary bike funds are short!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.