Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notices shuddering in a Karate Monkey fork? I had read about it in a review and experienced it myself. Someone suggested it may be that the headset needs adjustment but mine seems fine.

Any thoughts?

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Padre said:
That's called "riding rigid".

The shuttering is your bones etc rattling around from getting pounded over bumps etc and having no suspension to soak it up and keep the wheel on the ground.

Ouch!
+1... and once your wrists snap the whole ride becomes a lot cushier... hang in there

·
Registered
599 Posts
I acutally in certain circumstances have picked forks that do this. I have never had my KM fork fo that. The 31.8mm upper of the fork is way stiff. I have had a stock Monocog fork exhibit this characteristic. I found that fork to be pretty comfy. I purchased a Flight Monocog fork for the reason that it would be stiffer with a bigger rotor/stronger disc brake combo. It rides pretty similarly to the KM with a touch more flex which is just about right. I would be interested to ride a Vicious, various Waltworks, and Badger forks I have seen in the recent past. Some of those use very small (28.6-ish mm or less) at the top of the Unicrown/Lug.

Also depending on the headset you might get some of that feeling as well. I used to swear by Chris King headsets, but the basic split ring designs offered from Cane Creek take care of any possible movement out of the headset. I'm not hating on King, it's just the top cap is machined aluminum and the bearing race is steel. Unless they were machined from the same block I just can't imagine it being a 100% perfect fit. The King definitely allows some movement/rocking that could be interpretted as a loose headset. Especially with a rigid fork. Not a problem with some squish under it as there is a lot of other areas of movement/ dampening to keep it in check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.