Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Surly an email asking them about making a fat 29er tire, here is the response.

we hear you and were waiting to see how WTB's Exi would turn out. it works
great on our karate monkey frameset, but a bigger tire would not fit so well
on the back running derailleurs, front would be OK. if, after running our
2.3 Exis for a while, we think there is a need for bigger, we'll look into
it. thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds fair to me but I'm sure a few more emails from other riders may help our cause.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
so much for FFF, "Fatties Fit Fine" eh?!
it doesn't sound like they are gonna find the need, esp if they don't create more clearance on the venerable KM's rear triangle... :confused:

glad you wrote to them. i don't think i will be holding my breath, but i would still encourage Surly to throw their hat into the ring.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Perhaps time to get rid of triple cranksets, and start use of 38t cassettes?

24-38 rings front, in the present middle and outer positions, and an 11-38t cassette. 10-speed, to give Shimano it's way. Just like present 11-32t's, plus an extra 38t granny. 24-38t climbs almost everything, 38-11 is good till over 30mph.
With 104-64mm bolt circels, again to give Shimano it's way, you could always go 22+36t or 30+42t. If the chainstays only need to offer clearance for 30+42 rings (I ride that often, and to great satisfaction), more tire clearance is left. Lack of an inner chainring should offer loads of extra tire room, in the same time as allowing for shorter chainstays, to give all the 29" critics their way.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Won't an E-Type still have a full-sized cage attached to have the tire rub on?
with my Fisher on the granny ring, a Big Apple 2.35" rubs the XT high clamp derailer quite violently.

A front derailer where the cage not only swings in and out, but also fore and aft, mightbe able to bring the cage forward enough on the granny ring, to clear the tire.
The cage itself might be shortened as well.

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can slide the wheel back in the dropouts a further 8mm or so which would help provide plenty of clearance for a derailer. Even if it only fit the rear for SSers on a KM, it would still fit most forks and I am sure the new 5" travel Lenz has room for some big rubber.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I can slide the wheel back in the dropouts a further 8mm or so which would help provide plenty of clearance for a derailer.
but then your shifting goes to pot....at least that's what I hear. I'm all in favor of a bigger tire, I actually sent an email to Surly a couple of days ago and got this response...not saying it won't happen, but I'm not holding my breath. bummer.

scott,
the pug tire, now called "endomorph" is our first venture into tire design. we are big fans of big tires, and fortunately WTB listened to us and others about doing a big 29" tire. we have no plans to do anything yet, since that exiwolf is pretty much what i wanted in the first place.
thanks,
nick

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only had gears on it for a few weeks and the fd was a used peice of crap that did not work well. Brings back memories of almost punching someone (soupboy knows who I mean) in the head out on the trail when the fd crapped itself and the certain person was shitty that I had stopped on the trail with a mechanical.... Good times apart from that!!!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I've never run my KM

with gears and if I did it would be 1x8 or 1x9 but my understanding was that it was not interference with the cage itself but clearing the backside of the mounting clamp and related bolt???

I've never read about chainring clearance issues and I'm pretty sure I could even place a 42t in the middle-ring position on my RF Turbines.

Yeah - the FFF slogan does not apply to the KM frame. The Monkeynutz are a PITA but they seemed to work on Ivan's bike.

I've yet to mount of the Exi's as the trails here in MN aren't dry yet and I don't want to waste them on tarmac.

Sean

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Soupboy said:
I've never read about chainring clearance issues and I'm pretty sure I could even place a 42t in the middle-ring position on my RF Turbines.
I have a 42t in the middle-ring position on my KM right now. Plenty of clearance, maybe enough for a 44t even. Not running a front derailer, and I agree with the others that that is where the problem lies.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
shiggy said:
They did not say there was not frame clearance for a bigger tire. There are issues with tire/front derailleur clearance. A known problem even with 2.1" tires.
Either way, it's not clearing the bigger tire. They needed to say that FFF only if SS.
I personally would only run it SS, but then I didn't go for a KM because of the horizonal drops/disc brake conundrum.
Surly should just make a nice fat tire that most of us would run as a front only anyway. Forks can accomodate bigger rubber than stays can, and we need more cush up front for rigid forks. :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Of course Surly IS the most ass-kicking company in today's cycling, but now with the Endomorph out (weird name), they'll probably have to make that tire break even first. I think in short term (1-2 years) they'll sell around 3-4 on them along with every Pugsley, not many more as few other bikes exist that'll take a 3.7". Not easy to break even.
With a front-only 30x2.5-2.6" tire, you can indeed interest every rigid 29" rider on the globe, but only for 1 tire per customer, for the first 3 or 4 years. At least as hard to break even on. Should 30" trailbikes and even DH bikes catch, it'll be good to have that tire and the monopoly to go along with it, even if it's just for the publicity, but not a safe investment at all. Easiest way to make yourself even more legendary among 29" riders though, investing in that, what?, $20k 30" tire mold. Why aren't there any loaded riders that just make this sort of thing happen in stead of gold plumbing in the bathroom? If Fisher and Ritchey had been so loaded back in the days, this forums would be called after 26" wheels, the highly controversial standard to make bikes almost a pound lighter, while still somewhat ridable. 29" would simply have been the world standard for over 20 years now...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I just...

....installed an Exi on the front of my bike. No measurements but definitely a phatter visual profile. Will finally get it on dirt manana.

I used a 26" tube ta boot - what a PITA to get on the rim...but, oh well, I got plenty laying around.

I'd really like to get a 2.7" front and 2.5" rear to comfortably ride rigid again. 'Spose I'm just a whiner...

Sean

ozlongboarder said:
Clox and all other forum members, if I win the lotto...... I will make a fat tire happen for us !!!

·
Beer it does a body good!
250 Posts
I went to two

I dropped my outer ring and put a lager small ring and middle ring on mine. I have a 28 and a 38 works great for my midwest riding. I don't race some don't need the haul a$$ gear. I put on a 4mm wider BB. never a tread rub.

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Monkey rear

I think I have a "newly" mentioned issue with the Monkeys rear end :eek: I recently did a drivetrain overhaul and went to 34x20 on an 18" and noticed that the rear tire is far enough forward that under hard braking the brake noodle rubs. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
515 Posts
mordecai said:
I think I have a "newly" mentioned issue with the Monkeys rear end :eek: I recently did a drivetrain overhaul and went to 34x20 on an 18" and noticed that the rear tire is far enough forward that under hard braking the brake noodle rubs. Has anyone else experienced this?
Do you mean the noodle rubs the tire?

When I first built up my monkey w/ vees it did that. I can't remember exactly what I did now, I seem to remember messing around with my brake pad spacers though, or trying different angled noodles. I've gone to disc now and so the issue is gone.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I used a 26" tube ta boot - what a PITA to get on the rim...but, oh well, I got plenty laying around.
Soupboy-

You may have already tried this, but I have found that inflating my 26" tubes to a certain level of plumpness makes them MUCH easier to install on the rims. Not only does it increase diameter, but the shape is more manageable, and almost "snaps" onto the rim of my Bontrager Race Disc wheels. I have to be a little careful not to bump it off as I put the second bead on. Hope this helps.

PS Conti Ultralight 26 tubes have been working real well for me. 123 g each, 220# rider doing light FR

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Thanks

I did inflate them - maybe just not enough to meaningfully expand the inner diameter.

Got my daily quota of cuss words out of the way in a hurry though...

Sean

heavyg said:
Soupboy-

You may have already tried this, but I have found that inflating my 26" tubes to a certain level of plumpness makes them MUCH easier to install on the rims. Not only does it increase diameter, but the shape is more manageable, and almost "snaps" onto the rim of my Bontrager Race Disc wheels. I have to be a little careful not to bump it off as I put the second bead on. Hope this helps.

PS Conti Ultralight 26 tubes have been working real well for me. 123 g each, 220# rider doing light FR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.