Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Surly Cross-Check is sold as a 'cross bike (duh). To me that means, 700c wheels and knobby but skinny tires. But since the rear stays sport the FFF spacing, could 29" wheels with knobby 29" MTB tires fit? I assume the Cross-Check fork would be too narrow for these wider tires, but maybe a Karate Monkey fork could be swapped in?

Could I get some insight from Cross-Check owners? Cheers!

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
The Surly Cross-Check is sold as a 'cross bike (duh). To me that means, 700c wheels and knobby but skinny tires. But since the rear stays sport the FFF spacing, could 29" wheels with knobby 29" MTB tires fit? I assume the Cross-Check fork would be too narrow for these wider tires, but maybe a Karate Monkey fork could be swapped in?

Could I get some insight from Cross-Check owners? Cheers!
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=168753&postcount=3

YMMV.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, Drevil. Unfortunately, I'm a bit more confused than I was in the beginning now. You said, "45mm Smoke rear, 44mm Mutanoraptor front. Both fine with good mud clearance". I went to the Panaracer and WTB websites and couldn't find 700c or 29er equivalents of these Smoke and Mutanoraptor tires, respectively - only the 26" varieties. I'm missing something here...

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Cheers, Drevil. Unfortunately, I'm a bit more confused than I was in the beginning now. You said, "45mm Smoke rear, 44mm Mutanoraptor front. Both fine with good mud clearance". I went to the Panaracer and WTB websites and couldn't find 700c or 29er equivalents of these Smoke and Mutanoraptor tires, respectively - only the 26" varieties. I'm missing something here...
Sorry for the confusion. The 700 x 45 Pana Smokes were discontinued a long time ago, but a buddy hooked me up with them. They are the knobbiest skinny-big tires I've personally seen.

WTB 700 x 45 Mutanos are still available, as riderx pointed out below.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers. Sorry if I'm being completely obtuse here, but with the Smoke/Mutanoraptors, are you saying that those are the biggest cross tires that would fit, or are you saying that these are the widest tires that would fit, period? Cloxxi mentioned a 2.1 tire - would any of these regular 29er MTB tires fit? I know you mentioned that the 2.1 tires you tried gave you almost no clearance even after you shaved off some knobs, Drevil. Does that pretty much mean that regular 29er MTB tires would be off-limits for a Cross-Check?

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Cheers. Sorry if I'm being completely obtuse here, but with the Smoke/Mutanoraptors, are you saying that those are the biggest cross tires that would fit, or are you saying that these are the widest tires that would fit, period? Cloxxi mentioned a 2.1 tire - would any of these regular 29er MTB tires fit? I know you mentioned that the 2.1 tires you tried gave you almost no clearance even after you shaved off some knobs, Drevil. Does that pretty much mean that regular 29er MTB tires would be off-limits for a Cross-Check?
45mm is the biggest that will comfortably fit, front and rear. The 2.1 conti vapor is way undersized and may fit from what I hear.

B

·
hispanic mechanic
2,701 Posts
Getting a little trim...

SpinWheelz said:
If you run it all the way back, a 29" Motoraptor will just squeak in on the rear, but with really no mud room. I suppose you could trim some of the knobs, for safety's sake.
I have had good results with the 44mm Mutanos. While not a real 29" tire, it beats anything else that'll fit!

the los

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for that clarification. If the Mutanos work, then they might be the ticket. I'm typically not familair with road or cross specs, so I'm assuming that when the size reads 44, that means 44mm in width? If so, I think that that translates to something like a 1.7 tires at best.

I'm less keen on the Continental Vapors largely because they're a 28" tire, and after last night's experience of nearly ripping my hands to shreds trying to take off IRC Mythos 1.95 tires and ripping them again trying to pull on Kenda K-Rad 2.3 tires, I don't know if these 28" tires are going to require a lot of work to mount. That being said, I think last night's nightmare with the tires had more to do with the rims than the tires themselves. I effectively broke three tire levers switching these tires last night!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Thank you for that clarification. If the Mutanos work, then they might be the ticket. I'm typically not familair with road or cross specs, so I'm assuming that when the size reads 44, that means 44mm in width? If so, I think that that translates to something like a 1.7 tires at best.

I'm less keen on the Continental Vapors largely because they're a 28" tire, and after last night's experience of nearly ripping my hands to shreds trying to take off IRC Mythos 1.95 tires and ripping them again trying to pull on Kenda K-Rad 2.3 tires, I don't know if these 28" tires are going to require a lot of work to mount. That being said, I think last night's nightmare with the tires had more to do with the rims than the tires themselves. I effectively broke three tire levers switching these tires last night!
28 and 29 are both the same bead size...the inch designation refers to the outer measurement of the tread itself...

B

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Did Messassin morph coming to this board?

I remember reading some of Messassin's posts on the old 29er board and some of the silly sick stuff he was doing on his Cross Check. He slammed some Notos into a first year Cross Check, but I also think he gained more clearance on his frame with a 2x4. I also recall he needed a tensioner so he could set the wheel all the way in the back of the drops.

I found the posts, but the pictures aren't there anymore. Can someone work Fast Eddy's solution so we can check out Mess's pics?
Faster than your mom
Beginner's Up's session

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Tires for the Cross check:
Panaracer Fire 45c
Panaracer Smoke 45c(if you can find some)
IRC Mythos XC slick 42c
Ritchey Zed 42c
Michelin Sprint World 40c
WTB mutanoraptor 45c
And I'm willing to bet the Conti Vapor will fit in front at least. I'd check, but I don't own a cross check.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
conti vapor

Anybody have a good source of conti vapors?
Any tire can be trimmed on the knobbies easily with a serrated steak knife. In the rear I don't need the side knobbies as much as up front.
~martini~ said:
Tires for the Cross check:
Panaracer Fire 45c
Panaracer Smoke 45c(if you can find some)
IRC Mythos XC slick 42c
Ritchey Zed 42c
Michelin Sprint World 40c
WTB mutanoraptor 45c
And I'm willing to bet the Conti Vapor will fit in front at least. I'd check, but I don't own a cross check.

·
Registered
149 Posts
conti vapor in the x-check

I just tried a set of conti-vapors on my cross-check the other day. They are just a little to big even in the front. I supose you could trim the side knobs down but it's definatley tight on the sides. Top clearence is just fine though.

In the rear there's no real room especially if you need for-aft adjustment.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way, I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input here. Looks like I have some decent tire choices. As you can figure out, I'm trying to work out my options for a big-wheeled ride. Maybe what I should've asked first and foremost was how trailworthy a Cross-Check might be. Sure, it's a cyclocross bike, and you're not about take a 6-foot drop with it (at least I won't!), but for some decent none-too-aggresssive singletrack riding, could the Cross-Check pull it off?

I'm loving the versatility of this frame, 'cause I like the idea of taking off the knobbies slapping slick tires on and making it road worthy in a flash.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm getting the impression that the tire clearance on the CC getting narrower each production run, could that be? The early green ones seemed to just take a Moto-Nano combo just fine, my semi-early fork took a Moto, my newer one not, and now this bike doesn't even take a Vapor?
I can't comment on trailworthyness much, I only did commuting, CX racing and a lame arrowed ride on it. The latter with a violently rubbing and resonating Moto front, and a Mutano rear that seems like made of wood. Once I though I'd nailed the pressure, the rim hits began. I gave my Mutano's away to someone lighter.

Dream commuter bike for me, with 38mm Conti Sportcontact slicks. Totally bugged with the plain Salsa ShortnShallow bars, definately need something Funky for it. Hoping the Funky Bar Thread will help me decide on something, and what stem length I'll want for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.