Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how strong are Surly cranks, spider, chain ring coupled with a Chris King bottom bracket, and a Salsa bash guard. I have always been happy with Shimano XT cranks, but I am building up a single speed and wanted to try something different.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
A set of silver Mr. Whirlys was in the shop recently. They are very sweet cranks, the customer got them in 185mm and no complaints so far. I think they look better than the XTs and are definitely more versatile in the long run. Treat it right and it's a life time crank that can be passed to all sorts of frames.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The Whirly's are strong, stiff, durable, and heavy. I'd go something lighter unless you need them. I have two sets. They're great on my Pugsley and Big Dummy. My only complaint is that the spindle rusts so put some Framesaver in/on it.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
CLONG said:
Of what, torquing chainring bolts?

I know you've been around CB2, and I'm not knocking your skills, but that doesn't look like a JRA. Details, please.
I was riding fixed last Winter. No bolt loosened; the spider shattered. I'm pretty good at cleaning logs and rocks, but I'd never claim to never have a crank strike, or touch a ring. But as a matter of fact, I was just riding along when it happened. I'm not the only one this has happened to either. I think they made a running change to the spider, but I think it's too much a jack of all trades master of none.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
CB2 said:
I was riding fixed last Winter. No bolt loosened; the spider shattered. I'm pretty good at cleaning logs and rocks, but I'd never claim to never have a crank strike, or touch a ring. But as a matter of fact, I was just riding along when it happened... I think they made a running change to the spider, but I think it's too much a jack of all trades master of none.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. I missed that thread the first time around. I'm not too shy about making contact with logs, and I wouldn't expect you to be either. :)

I wonder if the spider update solved the issue? I just installed the Whirly's on my Pug. I'm running the spider/chainring combo shown in the pic and tend to run low gears. Also, I'm heavy.

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Long live Shimano

I will probably get blasted for this but, Shimano got really big doing thing right for a really long time. I bought an XT crank to replace a Damaged Race Face Atlas Crank that Race Face Does not want to warrenty for me. (the crank got loose and damaged the splines.

My XT crank is also going on my new 29er frame.
Surly never tried one but I would go XT if I was buying
Steel Freak:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.