Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1x1_ltd_lg.jpg http://www.surlybikes.com/1X1_ltd.html

With that in mind we proudly offer you, the freaks who have come along for the ride, the Surly Rat Ride 11 year anniversary limited edition complete bike. Let’s review what it is:

The frame and fork is disc-only, no rim brake studs, no housing stops, in black with throw-back Rat Ride decals in red. For components it sports a whole bunch of our stuff, from the Torsion bar to the Mr. Whirly crankset to the red New disc hubs (nutted axles, ‘natch), and some stuff we don’t make but which works really well, like Avid mechanical brakes. The drivetrain is single-dingle, with one gear in back and two Surly stainless steel chain rings. Most obvious are the Hoggy G 24x3” slicks on Large Marge rims. It’s bouncy, grippy, stable, fast, and fun as hell.

This isn’t some craptacular museum piece meant to stoke nostalgia for the good old days. This is a bike meant to be ridden, because we ride and we know you do too. But be warned: we didn’t make very many, so if you think you might want one don’t wait. We expect they won’t be around very long, and once they’re gone they’re gone for good. Call up your local bike shop right away.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Most obvious are the Hoggy G 24x3” slicks on Large Marge rims.
24" rims????

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, the frame/buils is pretty hot, but the 24"rims are a real turn off. I just can't fathom why they think that is the ideal way to build that. But otherwise very nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am confused about this. Is it designed for mountain biking or is it more for paved surfaces? The tires are why I am asking... 24" rims with slick fatties? Where would this be suitable? I want to get one but want to make sure it can be used off-road. Can you put knobby fatties on it or traditional 26" rims?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a regular 1x1 frame with special decals and no canti bosses. If you want to run 26" disc wheels on this bike, you can do that.

The 24" Large Marge wheels are fancy. It rides like a Pugsley Jr. The wheels roll like 26" wheels and you can destroy anything in your path with them.

Skip,
Surly

·
Registered
618 Posts
I guess I'm just biased against going down in wheel size at all. Large marges with 26" Hookworms or something would be more attractive, to me ... (and I think that fits, especially without canti studs).

At 6'7", 24" wheels would just look a wee bit small, but I am a bit outside the bell curve for average height...

1 - 20 of 128 Posts