Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cold Blooded
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it about surly that has created such a buzz? I have ridden some of the hottest bikes available, but I keep going back to my rigid Karate Monkey. It seems inexplicable, but all my homeboys are blown away by how well i am riding this season. So what is it about Surlys that kicks ass?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Critking said:
So what is it about Surlys that kicks ass?
My Steamroller is one of the least expensive bikes I've owned and it's also my favorite. Nothing too special about the numbers, the material, the paint, or any other single aspect, but the way it all comes together is magic. Must be the ghost of Hurl Everstone still haunting the tubes.

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
297 Posts
Surlys really ride nice for the money. The handling and geometries are balanced on all of their rides. Nice enough to make me not miss some of the high end stuff I have sold over the years. They are inexpensive, you can set them up in all kinds of ways. You never feel bad about beating the crap out of them, but then they don't seem to mind the beating at all. Win-win. I alway hated, or kind of feared wrecking or denting a tube on my really light custom steel rigs, on a Surly I just don't care. It is kind like being set free to just ride the damn bike and not fret about equipment.

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
I've just joined the Surly club by purchashing a Crosscheck. I can't wait until I finish the build and find out what everyone talks about. I'm looking forward to a great ride.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You won't be dissapointed. While building it up, set up two sets of wheels, one to go offroad, and one for pavement. Go as fat as you can for offroad, lot of fun. :thumbsup:

3,617 Posts
I think its more about "bike life" as compared to simply being an athlete. Surly bikes are more... dare i say...Practical. I dont own a car so its bike, bike, bike. After years of racing, etc, finally my "bike practice" has come back full circle. Now i just ride. Ride on group rides with friends, ride to the store, to see friends, to work, heck...anything. On the bike. Im ridin a Pug, with racks, and panniers. its the anytime, anywhere, any way, bike. sometimes i like to take the rack(s) off and just use a messanger bag. Sometimes i pump the tyres up to 30psi and take it out on 40mile rides with a roadie group.
the tubes? Heavy steel. Dents? Simply i just dont worry about the bike.
full circle. i think its like that first good bike i had. the one that never broke down, got scratched, i was bummed at first, it got more scratches, i didnt mind so much, i rode faster, pushed the limits, crashed more, i didnt mind, ride, ride, ride, and the bike never seemed to mind. it was made strong enough to withstand the rigors of daily life.
with that said...
aint that what its about? that is...when we get married, steady gf, or whatever, thats what its about...its about THE DAILY.
my swank Fondriest complete with Zipps, Carbon barstem combo, etc...how much do i ride it these days? not a whole lot.
do i ride every day. HECKA
are WATTS....WATTS? Yes
so what im sayin is...Pedalin is pedalin.
you ride a strong depandable bike all week, month, whatever, and swap over to a lightweight race rig, and guess what? of course...YOUR FAST!
its all those trips on the bike to the store, work, etc.
peace........d

·
Registered
12 Posts
less money=more ride time

I gotta take the time to reinforce what the others have already said. I've had high end steel, carbon and aluminum road bikes, and the Cross Check feels as good if not better and at a fraction of the cost. I put my money into components, and the ride and longevity benefit. The two wheelset reccomendation is a good one too. I have lightweight wheels for training rides, and a 32 spoke set for off road and touring. ~dan

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
I'll agree with the answers so far, but expand a little. A short detour, I promise.

"...and he arose upon a pulpit of dirt and stone."

They're so cool 'cause we all ride 'em!

Look at the people who ride the bikes. We all have a passion for what we ride, and if I can be so bold, these Surly's let us go about our passion with little to worry about. Everyone I've talked to in this forum, or met along the way, even rode with exemplifies this idea.

We're a bit of a quirky bunch of folk, in that we don't follow the whole "MTBR" description. We do have mountain bikes, and do post in other forums/threads, but there's enough of a demonstratable difference, that a forum was made for us, and this product!!

We demand a little more "esoteric feel" with our bikes, something that a "custom" bike may not satisfy. Don't get me wrong, I might still get a custom, but then again, I could build up 3 Surly's for that price, and frankly, plan on doing just so in a few weeks for my "Spare/Loaner for the Wife" bike. Surly's are as reliable as the day i bought and built up my first Rat Rod. Wake had a great idea, that even with him off on a seperate adventure, has continued to grow. The whole 29'er, Singlespeed, and Fixie movement has been there to support it, along with experienced and knowledgeable industry folk, like some of us in here, to keep the ball rolling.

Even more detour-ish, we talk freely about Long Haul Truckers, Steamrollers, Pugsleys, Karate Monkeys, Pacers, Cross Checks, Instigators, 1x1's, and now the Conundrum. There's no "Walls" here, either with our thoughts, or the overall quality of a Surly Bike.

We create a great impact with our conversations and posts, that are used throughout the industry, about a product that Rocks! (Never really told you all about that yet, did I? Kinda funny to have someone quote us/me not realizing who they were talking to.)

Look at just how many posts/threads are in here. Think about it, we're (this forum) just approaching a Year Old!! Shows that a good product does have a good voice. :thumbsup:

We all still visit the site for MTB stuff, but I'd like to believe that we're all here for these reasons and a lot more. Our bikes are a major part of that equasion, and I wouldn't want to be on any other product right now.

Surly has, is, and as I can predict it, will continue to put out product that needs little help being successful. They, plain and simple, Kick-A$$!

I could have chosen anything I wanted to for my Avatar's Signature,
and settled on "Surly Proponent" because I love and trust Surly's products.

Obi..

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Was just wondering the same thing

I just back from a trail ride on my Instigator and was wondering why that bike is so fun to ride. On paper it doesn't do any one thing great but on the trail it rocks! The great steel ride is one factor for sure but I think just being designed by good folks that like to ride for fun is the main thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As someone noted, Surly's have a practicality to them. And by that I mean that they don't follow the fashions of the bike industry. They aren't designed for folks trying to look like they're on the Tour. They, like some other companies like Rivendell and Kogswell and others, want to build bikes people really ride--day in and day out as an integral part of their life, not just on fast, competitive rides on the weekend. This is what I love about my Cross-check. I ride it all week long for all sorts of stuff--errands, commuting, and just for fun. Mine even look pretty weird--the bars are weird (Jones H-bar) and they're way high because of back problems; the seat is weird--a wide leather saddle with springs (Brooks b67); it's got a rack on it which I use all the time, reflective tape here and there, bar-end shifters which someone commented on the other day as being strange. For all that weird stuff, the bike is set up to suit me and I use it all the time not just for a couple of hours Sunday morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.