Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build out a cheap rigid single speed for city, park, fire road type riding. pretty much has come down to these two based off the $400 or so price tag. it seems like the surly is a little more heavy and disc compatible while the on-one has a weak finish? any other comparisons you can make between the two?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
vortrex said:
I want to build out a cheap rigid single speed for city, park, fire road type riding. pretty much has come down to these two based off the $400 or so price tag. it seems like the surly is a little more heavy and disc compatible while the on-one has a weak finish? any other comparisons you can make between the two?
I truly love my Surly. Having said that, I have never ridden an On-One Inbred.

Personally, I would really love to try one though. If my memory serves me correctly, for the same sized frame, the Inbred will have a longer top tube (0.5" longer) but will have a lower standover height (about 1" shorter I think).

I almost did buy a complete bike from the folks at On-One when they had the killer sale on the complete bikes (still some left, not in my size though). I was thoroughly impressed by their customer service so given what I think is an advantageous geometry spec for a single speed and given their super friendly demeanor, I would go with the On-One Inbred.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Ghost ride the whip!
99 Posts
I just built up my surly 1x1 yesterday and did a metric century on it today. Riding 32-16 was murder (can you say spin out?), but the surly was awesome. There were a few parts where the side of the road was all dirt and grass and i turned it into my own little trail, passing people on the right, and just being a clown. The price is right and the people are great, I'd say go surly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Surly or the On One! They are both Steel and come from two of the coolest companies making production singlespeed frames. The 1x1 comes with a rigid fork and disc mounts where the Inbred doesn't come with either as far as I know, so there is more value there (If you will be riding rigid with discs that is).

If the disc mounts and rigid fork don't sway you to the 1x1 then the best thing to look at is which frame would fit your dimensions better.

With three years on my 1x1 frame and fork, I wouldn't give a day of riding it back for anything. As a matter of fact, My geared litespeed/xtr bike hasn't seen the trail since then.

Attachments

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I have owned both bikes. Weight of the frames is very comprable. The ride and geometry are where these bikes differ. The Surly is a bit stiffer and I didn't find the ride as comfortable as the on-one. The surly was only designed for an 80mm fork. The Inbred allows for up to 100mm (my fav xc fork travel).

Overall both are good choices for the stated tasks. I prefer the On-one for ride quality. Either way I would recommend a more compliant fork than the stock offerings.

·
Registered
291 Posts
On One

I've got an On*One, I'd second the sweet ride comment. It does feel great on road or trail. Looks a bit weird though, I went with the 16in frame, based on TT length. I've got stacks and stacks of standover with it. The only problem I could see would be the lack of disc mounts. I haven't ever ridden discs so it wasn't an issue for me.

Attachments

·
Are your pants fresh?
135 Posts
Geometry

Geometries for the two vary quite a bit as far as personal fit goes. The Inbreds have a dramatically sloping TT with lots of standover (for us short legged ones), while the 1x1 has a straighter TT. My short legs prefer a sloping TT. The Inbreds (I believe) have a much longer TT for a given size vs. the Surly's.

I heart my inbred.

FP

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah I just ordered a green inbred. even though I am not short, I love standover. I can deal with the long TT. can't wait to get it all set up! man...two new bikes in two weeks. I think I am crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.