Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Surly 1x1 frame and fork that i am building up. I got the frame from the ex-art director of Dirt Rag magazine and it was the actual frame that was ridden and written up in the mag after Surly made the 1x1. This is my first SS rigid, so needless to say I am stoked. I am building up with the following:

Black Surly 1x1 F/F
Surly Hubs laced to Mavix XC317's (all black with red spoke nipples)
Tioga 2.3 Downhill tires (Anyone got a recommendation for a good all-around 2.3 tire?)
Cane Creek Sealed Headset
Easton EA50 Stem
Yeti Lock-On Grips
FSA Riser Bars
Avid Single Digit 7 Brakes
Avid Flak Jacket Cables
Surly Post and Clamp
WTB Seat
Cheap Crankset (until I buy a stylo singlespeed crank)
Salsa 36 Chainring
ACS Claws 18 tooth freewheel
Ritchey clipless pedals

I'll post some pics in the pics thread when I am done. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nonracerrichie said:
Kenda Nevegals, Panaracer Rampages, are popular. I ride 2.5 IRC Trail bears. Their 2.25 Trail Bears are good too and the IRC's tend to be cheaper.
Any idea where I can find some 2.5 trail bears online, I looked last night and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allright, I finally got the build complete and took on a short ride and I absolutely love it. I will post some additional pics after I clean it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also ordered a set of 2.35 maxxis ignitors and a 2.6" Kenda Downhill tire for the front. It should be fun to get a big fat tire on the front.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A solid, sensible build :thumbsup:

A 2.6" may be a bit wide for the 317... I'm running a 2.4" Conti Mountain king (great tire btw) on a 717 on the front of my 1x1 and it's about as wide as I would go. The profile is pretty rounded, and the conti is a bit small for a 2.4".

If you try it, be sure to let us know how it goes, it'd be nice to get some a little more air volume w/o a new rim :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, the 2.6 may be too big but I only paid $15 through jenson so I figured it was worth a try. In any case, I also ordered two maxxis ignitors in 2.35" for $9 each so I am set either way. I'll post up how the 2.6" performs on my rims.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You should look at Schwable Nobby Nic 2.4's they are actually a real 2.4 and hold good traction and a nice weight for a 2.4. You will not be able to find a 2.5 Trail Bear online unless it is through EBAY.

In all of IRC's wisdom they stopped making them and replaced it with the Mibro which sucks azz compared.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frs1661 said:
A solid, sensible build :thumbsup:

A 2.6" may be a bit wide for the 317... I'm running a 2.4" Conti Mountain king (great tire btw) on a 717 on the front of my 1x1 and it's about as wide as I would go. The profile is pretty rounded, and the conti is a bit small for a 2.4".

If you try it, be sure to let us know how it goes, it'd be nice to get some a little more air volume w/o a new rim :D
I mounted the 2.6 Kenda last night and it actually doesn't look like its too rounded. I will post some pics tonight and will update after I actually take it for a ride.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whatchu got there son is a gen-you-wine original. The 1x1 was orgininally called the Rat Ride before we decided that all the single speedy bits from QBP's step-child design hole should have a name. We called it Surly and it was good. 11 years later, things still smell funny.

Nice work keeping the old horse running.

Cheers,
Skip
Surly

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That thing is pretty sweet. I plan to ride mine until it can no longer be ridden.......I think it will be a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.