Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Blur up for sale yesterday in the MTBR classifieds, and already I've gotten three emails similar to this one:

Hello,
I am intersted in buying your advert bike .I have gone thur the features and find the price $2600 okay by me.I will really appreciate it if you can get back to me with it's pics. I will be paying with a certified cahier's check drawn from a US bank,i will need you kindly get back to me asap with your full name,contact address and phone number so that the payment can be isued and send to you asap. In regards to the shippment,i am making arrangment with my shipper who will come for the pick up (Santa Cruz Blur, 2002) as soon as this transation is completed. I lok forward to read back from you asap.
Regards,
murry.

Thanks "murry" but I'm on to you. Do people still fall for this one?

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
Nat said:
I put a Blur up for sale yesterday in the MTBR classifieds, and already I've gotten three emails similar to this one:

Hello,
I am intersted in buying your advert bike .I have gone thur the features and find the price $2600 okay by me.I will really appreciate it if you can get back to me with it's pics. I will be paying with a certified cahier's check drawn from a US bank,i will need you kindly get back to me asap with your full name,contact address and phone number so that the payment can be isued and send to you asap. In regards to the shippment,i am making arrangment with my shipper who will come for the pick up (Santa Cruz Blur, 2002) as soon as this transation is completed. I lok forward to read back from you asap.
Regards,
murry.

wouldn't anyone wanting to buy your bike have to have your name and address?

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
BeenTravelinLite said:
the cashiers check and shipping would require that info, but it sounds odd that he would not haggle or ask for more detail (i.e. pics of the bike) before he agreed to pay. good eye nat
yeah, i agree that it sounds fishy, but I don't see any problem with asking for your name and address (and even phone number for a large amount of money) if he is sending payment through the mail.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve71 said:
It's a scam for sure. You could be selling a steaming pile of horse poo and you'd get the same scripted response.
And this one just came in:

"Hello seller how are you today hope you understand this for now if so kindly get back to me asap ok interested in purchasing your {Full Suspension Bike ) advertisedon
the net.I checked and confirmed the detail's which is going to serveme a
great deal.I will like to view the jpg pic's,And the present Conditionof
the {Full Suspension Bike}.
My Mode of Payment is By US Bank Cheque which you can be able toVerify
within 2-3days.I have personal shipping agent who will handle theshipment
for me on my Behalf .Kindly Get back to me.As am willing to purchaseIt .
Awaiting your responed soonext.Thanks Godbless"

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Come on, man...

Nat said:
And this one just came in:

"Hello seller how are you today hope you understand this for now if so kindly get back to me asap ok interested in purchasing your {Full Suspension Bike ) advertisedon
the net.I checked and confirmed the detail's which is going to serveme a
great deal.I will like to view the jpg pic's,And the present Conditionof
the {Full Suspension Bike}.
My Mode of Payment is By US Bank Cheque which you can be able toVerify
within 2-3days.I have personal shipping agent who will handle theshipment
for me on my Behalf .Kindly Get back to me.As am willing to purchaseIt .
Awaiting your responed soonext.Thanks Godbless"
He's a man of God. He wouldn't lie.

I've got a fever, baby and the only cure is you putting your avatar back.

Ken

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Nat said:

Hello,
Regards,
murry.

Who are these [email protected] in the head folk? I was selling a kayak last year and the person was in Australlia saying things like "when was the boat last run?" and stuff that made no sense to me and how a kayak is operated. Don't they have kayaks in Australia? I was pi$$ed. I blocked his email after I punted one over onto his side of the field.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
It's fishy b/c it does sound stilted and gives no indication of a "real person" behind it. Also that they put the item in parentheses each time, like it's a program.

I'd be asking why you're selling, what are the problems, LBS references etc. Not that I've ever purchased anything through eBay.

·
Lazy People Suck
776 Posts
How does someone become a "shipping agent" ?

It must be a pretty lucrative field as thousands of emails are going around every day that people are going to have their "shipping agent" take care of the transaction and pick up the bike. Do you have to go to a special school? I looked in the yellow pages and there was none listed in our area, so I would have a monopoly. I'm pretty excited about the prospect.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
I'm having fun with my scamer. I've talked him up to 20%.

Dear Steven,

Calvary greeting to you in the name of our lord Jesus Christ, Amen.

So for the emergency you have concerning your sister car accident,so the organisation have reconsider your percentage right now you will need to have not just 15% but 20% to yourself for any payment you receive from our client okay.

One of our company's client called me today to inform me that he has mail out the bank-draft today through regular mail so hopefull in the next three to five days from now,you are going to receive the bank-draft,okay so be patient it will surely comes to you by next week.

Expecting to hear from you as soon as you receive the bank-draft.

Remain Blessed.

Lydia Cook.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fett said:
It must be a pretty lucrative field as thousands of emails are going around every day that people are going to have their "shipping agent" take care of the transaction and pick up the bike. Do you have to go to a special school? I looked in the yellow pages and there was none listed in our area, so I would have a monopoly. I'm pretty excited about the prospect.
I think the shipping agents are probably soldiers in the russian mob. ;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Nat said:

Hello,
Regards,
murry.

This is a widely known scam which is prevalent well beyond the scope of mtbr. Even mtbr warns against the common practice (see scam alert information).

While I do post ads on mtbr, I now sell bikes on ebay and filter my listing so that people cannot even bid on my item unless they have a paypal account.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Hey!

Steve71 said:
It's a scam for sure. You could be selling a steaming pile of horse poo and you'd get the same scripted response.
How much do you want for the steaming pile of poo???

Please send your name and address.

fp

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I feel like a broken record, having posted this link about a bazillion times - but it is a timeless classic and is good for more than a few hours of entertainment at the expense of scammers.

www.419eater.com

Definitely check out the "Trophy Room" - many good pics of scammers jumping through hoops trying to convince their "victims" that they are legit...good fun

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.