Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not sure what to type?
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from IMBA today.

Help Bring Mountain Biking to West Virginia's New River Gorge National River

The National Park Service is looking for public input for a proposed trail network at New River Gorge National River, one of the premier recreational areas in the Mid-Atlantic. The proposal includes the construction of two new stacked-looped mountain bike trail systems and the reclassification of certain existing trails to be open to bicycles. This has the potential of creating a network of more than 100 miles of trails in the region.

Please take a moment to let the Park Service know that you support mountain biking in the New River Gorge trail proposal.

Don't delay -- the commentary period ends Jan. 15.

Sample Language for Comments

(Feel free to add your own language, or use our suggested text below to complete the NPS commentary form.)

Dear National Park Service,

I support the construction of a new stacked-loop mountain bike trail system, located in New River Gorge National River.

New trail construction -- including good sight lines and well-designed trail layout -- will allow for an enjoyable recreation experience for all user groups. Scientific research funded by the NPS shows the environmental impacts of mountain biking are similar to those of hiking and less than other allowed uses.

IMBA members recognize the backlog of maintenance needs for public trails and donate nearly one million hours of volunteer trail stewardship each year nationally. Mountain bike volunteers are willing to help the agency construct and maintain this trail, bringing a new base of volunteer energy and support to New River Gorge National River.

I also applaud the expansion of this Environmental Assessment to include the existing trail network.

Thank you for considering my comments as you develop the plans for a shared-use trail system. This would be a terrific asset for New River Gorge and the surrounding communities.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Some guy that runs a business in Slatyfork told me that the proposed trails will kill all of the poor little fishies in the river. :p I kid. Will send comments tomorrow AM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.