Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You are assuming fast food workers got the average wage increase. Bad assumption.
Where I live...Pizza Hut is offering $20/hour right now for delivery drivers and McDs is offering $15/hour. Jobs that were normally paying $10/hour or less at this same time last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
CEO Product Failure
1,834 Posts
Short answer: Inventory is short (limited). Demand is high. Logistics are fractured. Raw materials are scarce. Labor is unpredictable.

I work in construction. These situations happen in cycles. Eventually the "market" will correct itself. Best guess for a return to normal is late 2023-to-mid 2024.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
Where I live...Pizza Hut is offering $20/hour right now for delivery drivers and McDs is offering $15/hour. Jobs that were normally paying $10/hour or less at this same time last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
My local McDonald's has a sign out front offering $1000 signing bonus.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,011 Posts
Here's a good article for anyone interested, pretty comprehensive global overview including ports, trucking, railroad, inflation, employment numbers, etc. I'll just hit some of the highlights.

First, when it comes to the United States, we have been increasing our outsourcing and reliance on imported goods. Example: In January 1985 (as far back as data went), we imported $293 million of goods from China (and had a positive trade balance). Flash forward to today, in August of this year, our imports from China totaled nearly $43 billion.

“This month, the median cost of shipping a standard rectangular metal container from China to the West Coast of the United States hit a record $20,586, almost twice what it cost in July, which was twice what it cost in January, according to the Freightos index.”

One of America’s largest big box retailers, just chartered a cargo ship for $80,000 a day for one year. A year ago, that would have been $10,000 or $15,000 a day.

One of Japan's "Sogo shosha," or giant holding companies, is looking to charter a ship for $130,000 a day for three years, which would have been $20,000 a year ago. The company will have to put up $35 million for the first nine months in cash, on day one.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,011 Posts
So how do we fight the shipping costs?
There is no quick solution. Towards the end of the article they talk about government funded infrastructure.

The trucking and railroad segments are maxed out. The ports can't keep up. The whole system is overloaded.

How do we fix it? Stop buying crap from China. Build more things here in the USA. It will take time.

·
No known cure
4,572 Posts
From my house, I can see a boatload of cargo ships of the coast (Socal) 100 miles away. This is manufactured as my neighbor works at the port in LB and there's no labor shortage. Quite the opposite in fact. I get my businesses product from Great Britain overnight without a hiccup, unless FedEx loses it (to the tune of $$$$$) so I make two orders for insurance. As for the excuse of a flu, from what I've seen, It was all smoke and mirrors. Nothing closed. I don't have TV but from glimpses at work on the TV (hospital OR) the sky was falling. I work at two hospitals (900 beds total) in Socal and we didn't see what the TV was telling everyone. I had a lot of time off last year so I flew (for pleasure) to Iceland, Denmark, The Czech Republic and Ireland. Again, your TV told you travel wasn't allowed but that was a lie. I also surfed up and down the west coast and mountain biked all over the South West. In fact, It was the best time for travel. Rates were nothing for flights and lodging and every flight to Europe had less than 20 passengers. I hope this charade keeps up really.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Wife got me started thinking. She is pissed about “the supply chain” issue.
I see no articles or news reports about the supply chain issue. This issue is supposedly a big deal everywhere.

Many people waiting on parts, cars, trucks, etc. because of the “supply chain”.
-can’t blame USPS for vehicle deliveries.

The got to delay reason for car delay a lack of chips. Not buying that excuse as my daughter waiting on a car (hers was stolen) finds out her car is ready to be delivered but is sitting on a car carrier-for 2 tweeks and counting. The dealership itself is waiting on delivery of many cars and trucks.
-hope the salesman have a huge savings account.

Oh and the pat excuse for parts is , “ships are waiting in the harbor” to be unloaded. -been hearing that for quite awhile.

Ideas to help me understand?
I have to think you need to develop some good reading or listening habits if you honestly feel there's a lack of news on this topic. There are podcasts that might make it easy. Look for a Wall St. Journal trial.

The pandemic at a high level but other matters continue the issues - disparities in how countries are doing with the pandemic, energy supply issues, and some firms and industries doing better than others. An interesting new twist is some major retailers are chartering their own ships.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have to think you need to develop some good reading or listening habits if you honestly feel there's a lack of news on this topic. There are podcasts that might make it easy. Look for a Wall St. Journal trial.
Wow. Well put abrasive statement. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Wow. Well put abrasive statement. Thank you.
Your signature says keep things simple so that's what I did. It seems many know about ships in harbors but not the disparities in public health matters and energy. My apologies if by "keep things simple" in your signature you really meant promote willful ignorance.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.