Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife got me started thinking. She is pissed about “the supply chain” issue.
I see no articles or news reports about the supply chain issue. This issue is supposedly a big deal everywhere.

Many people waiting on parts, cars, trucks, etc. because of the “supply chain”.
-can’t blame USPS for vehicle deliveries.

The got to delay reason for car delay a lack of chips. Not buying that excuse as my daughter waiting on a car (hers was stolen) finds out her car is ready to be delivered but is sitting on a car carrier-for 2 tweeks and counting. The dealership itself is waiting on delivery of many cars and trucks.
-hope the salesman have a huge savings account.

Oh and the pat excuse for parts is , “ships are waiting in the harbor” to be unloaded. -been hearing that for quite awhile.

Ideas to help me understand?

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts

Working with a store that has (as all bike shops have) been impacted by very long lead times: It's a compounding problem, Shimano was shut down in Taiwan which caused backlogs at assembly plants. Shipping containers were hoarded and they couldn't get bikes onto boats. Freight harbours and haulers were all working with reduced capacity and that backlogged delivery.

Couple that with an increase in demand for bikes that no-one predicted and we have a raw material shortage, production capacity shortage, labour shortage... it goes on and on.

Trust me, no-ones sitting back on lawn chairs and taking it easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a mix between factories shutting down in Asia where most bike manufacturing is, rising costs of shipping and the huge boom the market had in the last two years due to everyone wanting to do outdoor activities. The big issue is that bike companies supply things from a ton of suppliers. Lets say that the frame is made in one factory. Now to sell that frame, you are looking at needing parts for suspension, drivetrain, wheels, tires, tubes, seats, seat posts, grips, bars, stems, brakes, brake pads, headsets, bottom brackets, cabling as well as a ton of accessories. If a single one of those factories are behind/sold out/shut down, you can't sell a complete bike. With frame manufacturers speccing from so many different factories, it can be hard to find the exact parts you're looking for. Sure, you might be able to find a lower or higher spec part, but you may lose money on a sale if you throw in an AXS groupset if you're selling a $1300 bike. Likewise, a $7500 bike shouldn't come with Rhythm or Rockshox silver components. It's just a combination of all of the parts, on all of the models of bikes, for all the manufacturers using all the factories. Perfect storm really.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wife got me started thinking. She is pissed about "the supply chain" issue.
I see no articles or news reports about the supply chain issue. This issue is supposedly a big deal everywhere.

Many people waiting on parts, cars, trucks, etc. because of the "supply chain".
-can't blame USPS for vehicle deliveries.

The got to delay reason for car delay a lack of chips. Not buying that excuse as my daughter waiting on a car (hers was stolen) finds out her car is ready to be delivered but is sitting on a car carrier-for 2 tweeks and counting. The dealership itself is waiting on delivery of many cars and trucks.
-hope the salesman have a huge savings account.

Oh and the pat excuse for parts is , "ships are waiting in the harbor" to be unloaded. -been hearing that for quite awhile.

Ideas to help me understand?
The first thing we need to help you with is your poor sentence structure and very poor grammar. Then we can have a conversation about what is happening with the supply chain issue. ???

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gotta love that it only took...a deadly virus to get Americans out riding bikes! Not fun, not health, not the joy of riding along...death.

I get a newsletter from one bike dealer and they've discussed getting a lot of hate mail from people angry their bike orders are delayed. This makes me laugh and curse at the same time. Uhh, if you waited until 2020 to decide you wanted a bicycle, well, that is your damn problem. I've been stockpiling, and riding bikes, for a long damn time.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
The first thing we need to help you with is your poor sentence structure and very poor grammar. Then we can have a conversation about what is happening with the supply chain issue. 😆😂🤣
Was about to reply English wasn't his first language, but then scrolled up and saw the US flag.
Before anyone says ****, my mom immigrated here and could write a more coherent paragraph.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When they put my mail in the neighbor's mailbox I can. My carrier puts out such a half-assed effort. I'm having to redeliver mail to my neighbors all of the time.
Same here. Also, we never have the same mailperson from day to day and they are all wearing civilian clothes. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc... Also, one day our mail is delivered around 10am then 7pm the next day. It's weird.

Reactions: Mountainfrog

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@TwoTone-You also enrich my….let's say everything. Thank You.

Edit for grammar.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Gotta love that it only took...a deadly virus to get Americans out riding bikes! Not fun, not health, not the joy of riding along...death.

I get a newsletter from one bike dealer and they've discussed getting a lot of hate mail from people angry their bike orders are delayed. This makes me laugh and curse at the same time. Uhh, if you waited until 2020 to decide you wanted a bicycle, well, that is your damn problem. I've been stockpiling, and riding bikes, for a long damn time.
You are not entirely wrong but, it was also that some people got the time they needed to actually get out and ride. I rode more last year than any time back to 2013. I was able to work 3 of 5 days from home. I juggled my work and got more riding. Working 6AM-6PM M-F in previous years did not allow for that.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Uhh, if you waited until 2020 to decide you wanted a bicycle, well, that is your damn problem. I've been stockpiling, and riding bikes, for a long damn time.
One of the strangest rants I've heard in a while.

·
Registered
435 Posts
As others have stated there are multiple, compounding issues. Factory shut downs early on, an initial drop in demand followed by a massive surge, reduced staffing in the logistics industry etc... Lots of truckers used COVID as a trigger to retire, so a car sitting on a transporter for weeks is probably a likely scenario if they can't find a driver to take it to its destination.

I was talking to someone the other day who said the car/chip issue isn't due to an overall shortage of chips, it's because car manufacturers thought sales would drop and they cancelled their orders for chips. The chip manufacturers replaced those orders with customers in other industries (phones, computers, tablets etc...) and now the car manufacturers are at the back of the line....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yup. Dumb. Was dumb to shut down the world for something with a greater than 98% recovery rate.
Easier said than done when hospitals are overwhelmed and no one knows what's going on! Also 2% of the world's population is 140,000,000 people. Is that an acceptable price to make sure rich people in the US and Europe can ride a new bike they probably don't actually need?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.