Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Supplements

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  jdmaum1 
#1 ·
My wonderful research assistant (aka: husband) suggested I try using White Flood before my rides to help sustain my energy. Have any of you tried it? What are your opinions on it? Is it an all-around good supplement?

My current supplements are the Power Bars and Power Gel, and good old water. Usually I add lemon or lime juice to the water in the CamelBak because it tastes so much better. A little flavor reminds me to drink more. :thumbsup: I also take an anti-depressant, biotin, and a multi-vitamin. When i went in to GNC to see if they had the White Flood in stock the guy suggested I double up on my multi-vitamin. And he also tried to sell me on that daily packet they have with 5 pills in it.

I hate those things, why are they constantly pushing them? Every time I go in, it seems they try to get me to buy it! I hate pills. Hate swallowing them, and half the time they feel like they are stuck in my esophagus or something. Have a hard enough time remembering my AD and multi as it is. :madman:

Back to the original topic... Are the fitness supplements truly beneficial? I am not aiming specifically to bulk up my muscles or lose a lot of fat. It may be nice to morph into the energizer bunny with a few magical sips though :D

See less See more
#2 ·
i also hate how they try and sell you every product under the sun... it is annoying as hell...

as for your specific question on "white flood" i have never heard of it but did a little research and it seems its in the same pre workout category as superpump 250, Noxplode and nano vapour. I've used each one of these and each has different results that seem to be based on each person. I hated Superpump 250, i really liked NOxplode and i am currently using Nano Vapour and i like it so far.

None of these products are essential and in reality all they do is get you energized for awhile, possibly due to ingredients and also due to the "placebo effect"

if you feel you need a boost, give them a try, see if they sell trial packs so you don't sink too much money into it.

In reality all you probably need is a good multi and thats about it

#5 ·
BigBill said:
And, sorry hdparrish, but there is no reason to ever eat green nanners if you don't have to. Ripe fruit is always best for our bodies. Unripe fruit is actually slightly toxic.
Read harder. I wrote "slightly green," which means mostly yellow. It's plenty ripe and not the least bit toxic.

Fully ripe (solid yellow peel with soft "flesh") bananas actually give me a very mild allergic reaction, slightly green ones do not. YMMV, of course.

#7 ·
BigBill said:
Slightly green=unripe. Unripe=slightly toxic/allergen & harder to digest(fewer enzymes)/has less nutrients.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Slightly green isn't unripe, and it's not toxic, it's just not fully ripe. There's a difference. I suppose you could call it "underripe," same as a brown banana is overripe.

The less ripe a banana is, the more starch it will have. The more ripe, the more sugar. Vitamins and other nutrients will be about the same because the bananas were picked at the same level of ripeness.
BigBill said:
Every time I eat a banana that is even slightly green I projectile vomit within minutes.
Then don't eat bananas with any green on them. It's all about what works for you.

Fully ripe/overripe bananas give me an itch, so I don't eat them, but I don't propagate misinformation to discourage others from eating them, either.
BigBill said:
I can eat 30 ripe bananas a day with no problem!
Are you sure about that? Seems to me that one would spend an awful lot of time on the throne after eating 30 bananas. That's also about 3,600 calories.

#8 ·
hdparrish said:
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Slightly green isn't unripe, and it's not toxic, it's just not fully ripe. There's a difference. I suppose you could call it "underripe," same as a brown banana is overripe.

The less ripe a banana is, the more starch it will have. The more ripe, the more sugar. Vitamins and other nutrients will be about the same because the bananas were picked at the same level of ripeness.

Then don't eat bananas with any green on them. It's all about what works for you.

Fully ripe/overripe bananas give me an itch, so I don't eat them, but I don't propagate misinformation to discourage others from eating them, either.

Are you sure about that? Seems to me that one would spend an awful lot of time on the throne after eating 30 bananas. That's also about 3,600 calories.
You are a know nothing know it all. Here is the truth AH. Fruits have evolved such that they produce seeds only when ripe. Prior to the production of seeds, fruits produce a slight toxin to prevent animals from eating them. This assures their survival in the wild. This is a fact. It's also a fact that unripe fruit has fewer vitamins, minerals and enzymes. You don't know what you're talking about.

#9 ·
BigBill said:
Prior to the production of seeds, fruits produce a slight toxin to prevent animals from eating them.
Some fruits, not all, and bananas aren't even a fruit; they're an herb.
BigBill said:
This assures their survival in the wild.
Except bananas and other "fruits" aren't wild and haven't been for centuries. They're domesticated.
BigBill said:
It's also a fact that unripe fruit has fewer vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
Depends at which stage of ripeness the fruit/plant was picked/harvested. Many other factors affect nutritional quality, as well, including elapsed time since picked, storage temperature, and preparation.

Again, there's no harm in eating slightly underripe bananas. They are not toxic. I would ask you to cite a credible study saying otherwise, but you can't because one doesn't exist.

#10 ·
BigBill said:
FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT! Just say NO to "Power" anything or dead supplements! And, sorry hdparrish, but there is no reason to ever eat green nanners if you don't have to. Ripe fruit is always best for our bodies. Unripe fruit is actually slightly toxic.
careful with those nanners... I once ate 2-3 a day for like 2 months. Then one day, I took a bite, and almost threw up. To this day, I cant even take a bite of one without gagging :madman:

Which is sad, because they were my favorite fruit.

Moral: DONT eat too many bananas! Or else you never will be able to again!

Edit: Woops! I meant to quote the guy talking about nanners. sorry

#12 ·
I will take a yellow banana thank you very much. In fact, there's 3 sitting on my kitchen counter right now :D One for tomorrow, and Wednesday looks to be potentially challenging so will save the other two for then! Of course, if they last that long. I love bananas in a smoothie!

What other fruits are good to take on a ride? I just bought a bunch of PowerGel but I like the idea of eating more raw fruit.

#14 · (Edited)
Have used a few different energy type sups when trying to break out of a plateau with good results althou some brands, more than others, sometimes made me feel jittery. Never tried "White Flood". Think the most important thing to do, with or without sups, is to eat a proper meal about an hour before work out, and right after, and the best time for vitamin is with your last meal of the day.

BigBill and Hd, ha ha ha, are you really Miss Chiquita Banana? Just kidding, you guys are clearly the nanner ripeness experts, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention the fact that they are radio active in your analysis. Have been eating them in all different degrees of ripeness all my life, and aside from possibly changing #2 consistansy, no ill effects. You should talk to someone about that projectile vommiting, and thanx for the heads up on the seeds thing. From now on, when I eat one, but only one that's yellow, with a golden hue, and freckled with brown spots, I'll take a dump on the side of the trail, instead of the bathroom I usually use, with the hopes that future mtbers will have some to eat for free. Ya, spread them seeds people. Oh and you can put them in a salad ya ya, you can put them in a pot ya ya, but they're a tropical fruit from around the equaTOR, so don't put them in the refrigeraTOR, no no.

#15 ·
I agree with...
theMeat said:
... Never tried "White Flood". Think the most important thing to do, with or without sups, is to eat a proper meal about an hour before work out, and right after, and the best time for vitamin is with your last meal of the day.
Unless you are racing, you just need quality carbs for energy an hour or two before you ride. Drink plenty of water and electrolytes (electrolyte supplements are helpful) to prevent cramps if you are going for a long ride and/or if its really hot.

If you ride more than two hours at a time then you might want to check out the endurance forum which has a lot of great information on the subject.

#16 ·
MTBkitty said:
I will take a yellow banana thank you very much. In fact, there's 3 sitting on my kitchen counter right now :D One for tomorrow, and Wednesday looks to be potentially challenging so will save the other two for then! Of course, if they last that long. I love bananas in a smoothie!

What other fruits are good to take on a ride? I just bought a bunch of PowerGel but I like the idea of eating more raw fruit.
Bananas, Pears, Peaches and Apples are what I prefer. I only buy fruit that is organic and ripe. Non organic fruit is basically just a pesticide sponge. There is a great documentary called the future of food that discusses the importance of eating ripe, organic fruit.

#17 ·
Saw this article today and thought it seemed topical (as well as coincidental): http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/bananas-the-ultimate-hunger-buster-2456998/. Observe the supposed benefit to eating a "slightly underripe" banana.

Ultimately, it's all a matter of taste: if you prefer your nanners brown, yellow, green or varying shades in between, then eat them that way. But don't spout names and nonsense simply because you'd like to believe otherwise. After all, we're here for the same reason--our love of bikes and exercise.

Happy trails,

HP

#18 ·
All you need is carbs before/ during a ride and protein afterward.

I take my Vitamin before a ride for the B-12 boost

Fish oil is good for the brain and heart but this is not mtnbiking related.

Dont pay attention to all this pseudo-science on supplements.

I used to take Superpump 250 (NO2 just like white flood) for lifting and it worked great for a few months and all of a sudden it started messing with my body. You know that "ahhhhhhhh" sound in your ears when you yawn? It made feel that feeling and hear that "whooshing" noise all the time. Total wrecker for focus if you ask me.

A lot of these products are not tested by the FDA so you really dont know what you are getting.

If you choose to take these supplements just keep your liver and kidneys in mind.

Sheepo

#19 ·
Thanks everyone!
I have decided I'm not going to buy the supplement.
There's plenty of perfectly effective foods out there that I can actually pronounce and will stick with those! I still plan on keeping my bars, and the gel too.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone!
I have decided I'm not going to buy the supplement.
There's plenty of perfectly effective foods out there that I can actually pronounce and will stick with those! I still plan on keeping my bars, and the gel too.
Good choice! I almost forgot how expensive those "designer" supplements were too!

Sheepo

#22 ·
BigBill said:
Bananas, Pears, Peaches and Apples are what I prefer. I only buy fruit that is organic and ripe. Non organic fruit is basically just a pesticide sponge. There is a great documentary called the future of food that discusses the importance of eating ripe, organic fruit.
I just got done with a great meal of Organic free range chicken, organic rice and a big bowl of mixed organic fruits. I have that very documentary qued up on Net Flix now. It is pretty scary what is in the food most people eat.

#25 ·
CoffeeRoaster said:
I just got done with a great meal of Organic free range chicken, organic rice and a big bowl of mixed organic fruits. I have that very documentary qued up on Net Flix now. It is pretty scary what is in the food most people eat.
The future of foods is really good. Food inc. is another awesome documentary you can watch instantly on Netflix. Food matters is a bit of a stretch for most people, but it was really inspirational for me. If you feel like getting extreme, check out The Beautiful Truth and the Gerson Miracle. This list of movies and about a half dozen books from authors Victoria Boutenko, Dr. David Graham and T. Collin Cambell totally inspired me to change my diet and lifestyle forever.

Free range meat is definitely better than non free range. Just try to make sure your free range meat is grass fed and not grain fed. If it's grain fed that means it has most likely been fed a diet of genetically modified corn courtesy of Monsanto. No bueno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.