Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys take (if any) for supplements. i know when i use to lift and play sports i used to take Whey protin, but don't know where i would start. what are you guys taking for supplements?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I take a daily multi vitamin. I use a GU or cliff bar sometimes when i ride. That's all you should ever need. Protein shakes are for muscle building, which isn't very applicable to riding.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Protein shakes can be useful post ride to help with recovery. Make sure not to take as much as you would to build mass. I find it helps. Other supplements are simply vitamins and electrolyte replacement drink while riding.

·
succinct
217 Posts
DMAE H3
George's aloe vera juice
Nature's way liquid chlorophyll

twinlab one a day vitamin

solaray saw palmetto and pygeum one a day

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been drinking protein shakes and also BCAA helps with the recovery of the muscles. For example BCAA amino acids isoleucine, leucine and valine are by far the most important amino acids for building muscles. They can't be produced by the body itself, they have to be constantly supplied through food.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
Just wondering what you guys take (if any) for supplements...
Not too much...
4B8506DD-41FA-4BA0-BC79-C870B871D907.png

Just kidding. Kinda. That was from not too long ago. I’m off everything now 100%. Not even multi-vitamins. MUCH better supplement-free.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
my go-to food supplement is...food

·
CEO Product Failure
1,643 Posts
Magnesium Glycinate 300 & 600 at bed time every night.
And I use topical magnesium oil/creme on my legs pre-ride.

I am taking the magnesium for dibilitating night time leg cramp that I had for a decade straight. Then in 2017 I consulted a professional cycling coach, she started me on the magnesium oil/creme and the night time supplements. Since then, I've had maybe 6 leg cramps during ultra long races (30mi+ with multiple laps). Added benefit is I also fall asleep quicker and sleep deeper.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,553 Posts
Just wondering what you guys take (if any) for supplements. i know when i use to lift and play sports i used to take Whey protin, but don't know where i would start. what are you guys taking for supplements?
Pretty simple... A balanced diet of real foods that MUST be prepared as opposed to processed rubbish that goes from a box to a microwave.

·
Registered
111 Posts
B-12 and apple cider vinegar.

If you are doing a shake before riding it should be a carbohydrate shake.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ensure immediately post ride if it was a hard ride. Helps recovery and staves off the overeating super munchies. Cheaper and easier availability than the sports targeted recovery drinks for pretty much the same thing.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,643 Posts
Ensure immediately post ride if it was a hard ride. Helps recovery and staves off the overeating super munchies. Cheaper and easier availability than the sports targeted recovery drinks for pretty much the same thing.
I keep a few choc Ensure's in the freezer. Let if thaw a little and enjoy it as a post ride milkshake. Delicious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm pretty consistently eating lots of different veggies and proteins (as unprocessed as possible)...then I add:

-a multivitamin
-Beta Alanine (booster)
-creatine monohydrate
-7-keto dehydroepiandrosterone (keeps fat burning going)
-dehydroepiandrosterone (because I'm old)

I managed to gain 4 pounds of lean mass this year (lost 2 inches around the waist but gained 4 pounds), so it seems to be working. My rides are more fun because I'm not weezing on the climbs, and not dying after longer rides. It seems that muscle weight is easier on rides to carry than fat...who knew? (sarcasm)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts