Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience using either Fast Twitch or Driven? I have heard some good things about these products but am leary to drop the cash for a snake potion.

·
recovering racer
172 Posts
Unless your supplement says EPO on it, don't waste your money. I went through a phase where I was taking e-caps stuff and really didn't notice a difference although I wanted to. Nothing beats training smart and consistently.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
most supps have manily a placebo effect. my advise is put tape on the label, take the supp for a few weeks and not any tangible changes, youll probably end up saving money in the long run because it doesnt work. ive never used these but i had to push supps at work for a long time and im bitter. the only supp ill stand by is glucosamine and chondroitin, and of course a multivitamin, if needed. ill shut up now. good luck, be very weary of anything in a bottle, except beer, beer has no evil...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say that supplements are a waste of money. It's more a matter of looking at what a supplement is...a supplement! If you eat well, loads of vegetables and manage to get all of the vitamins, minerals, protein, etc. you need from your food, you probably aren't going to notice a difference from taking supplements unless racing and trainging is bringing you up short in certain areas. I personally think the key is to understand where you may be having issues, such as cramping, and try to find something that helps that area. I bring up cramps because it has been a minor problem for me in the past. I still haven't found a cure all for it, but I have started to pay careful attention to things like sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. I'm in good shape, but I've noticed on many rides I go through a period of profuse sweating. It's weird, because it doesn't necessarily correlate with the effort I'm putting out. Sometimes it may happen when my heart rate is as low as 130. It's almost like my body has a bit of a metabolic meltdown. Anyway, I started to realize that I was losing a lot of sodium during my rides. I started using the 4x sodium gels from Power Bar and they seem to be making a difference for me during my races.

I also take a multi-vitamin and I'm testing out a supplement called Rodeola Rhosea. A buddy of mine recommended it, but I can't say that I have noticed a difference. I'm interested to try out the Sportlegs after reading the thread in this forum.

This supplement probably will mean nothing to you as a racer (maybe in the off season if you're weight training), but the one supplement that I can say 100% makes a significant impact is Creatine. I used to use it when I lifted a lot. If I use that stuff for one month, I can up all of my squat and bench weights by big percentages and put on noticeable muscle size. It's a trip...I can't imagine what steroids would be like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No Glutamine for Sunday's ride.
Lost the "mainly placebo effect" of my Quadriceps not being ON FIRE! for 3 days.
:rolleyes:

Also DK1: I have tried Rodiola Rosea Extract without much success. I would suggest you try some quality Cordyceps Sinensis. After about a week you should notice an increase oxygen uptake, Improved athletic performance and ...well...I'll let your significant other let you know about the other "benefits".:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks xcdude. As was the case with Rodiola, I haven't heard of Cordyceps. I'll give it a try and let you know what I think. Can you recommend a brand? I have a Vitamin Cottage nearby, so I'm sure I can get whatever kind you're using.

You might get quite a few people trying it out with the side benefits you mentioned!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is a little more info on Cordyceps Sinensis.

I use Swanson Brand Cordyceps, but I am sure any quality brand will do.
I take 2 600mg caps a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Don't take any too close to bedtime or you will have "vivid dreams." I cycle on one month-off a month.You may feel a little flush when you first start taking these but don't fret.
I am fixing to start my cycle back up so, let me know how it goes!

Oh yea, there seems to one negative side effect for me:

I can't seem to get a good "beer buzz" when i'm on this stuff!
:sad:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...Hey DK, go for the Sportlegs. They have had a tremedous effect on my training and racing. I have noticed especially during races that I can bump it up a couple of gears on the climbs with no leg burn. It has kind of a numbng effect too. Placebo effect? Maybe, but hey what ever works. Tried creatine years ago for lifiting and had great results, the down size was excessive water retention and weight gain which was not so bad for the gym but not what I want for XC racing. So, at this point all I use is Sportlegs, Gel packs with sodium, a multi vit, Acclerade for fuel when riding, and of course lots of water. Time to ride :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cool. I'm really interested to try Sportslegs. I'm having a hard time imagining gettting the results I've read about in these forums, so I'lm excited to try it.

I tried to buy some at Bicycle Village last night here in Bouder, but they were sold out. Then I went over to Vitamin Cottage, but they don't carry it and I forgot the name of the stuff xcdude had mentioned I should try. Kind of a waste of a trip, but I'll try again to hunt some down tomorrow. Might just buy it online.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I found some small packs (4 capsules each) of Sportlegs today. I had hoped to buy a bottle, but I got enought for a few outings. I have a road time trial tomorrow night of about 30 minutes and a MTB race on Saturday, so I'll let you all know what I think.

I'm really hoping they make a difference. Time trialing is not my strength, but it should be a great test since my legs are on fire every time I do one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
First update. Had my best time trial of the season by far. Shaved 2 minutes off my best time.

I'm not sure I can attribute it to the Sportlegs, because I also did some reading on bike fitting and found that I had my seat a little to high. I was having problems with my hamstrings knotting up during the time trials. I lowered my seat about 7-10 mm and it seemed to help a lot. It was also the least amount of weather I've had to deal with this year.

However, my legs felt better than they have so I'm definitely going to give this supplement some credit until proven otherwise. MTB race tomorrow...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I crashed hard in my MTB race last weekend, so it wasn't a really good test for Sportlegs since my legs were bleeding and numb. It was a rainy day and I was hanging too close to another rider on a downhill...hit a wet root and supermanned the handlebars. Fortunately nobody was immediately behind me. I finished the race in 8th, but it was a struggle because I had to keep pushing my brake lever back out after I squeezed it so it wouldn't stay engaged. That was the most exhausting race I've ever done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
xcdude said:
Sportlegs=

Wont that much calcium cause some constipation? Has anyone noticed this side effect? Other than that it seems pretty natural, but I think eating a few bananas before riding would have the same effect…..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.