Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

Does anyone here have any experience with the supplement "sports legs"? Suppose to pre-dose you with lactic in the blood to stave off lactic acid cramps. NOT a substitute for training obviously.

If so, whats the procedure for use that you all have had success with?

Lastly, at last weeks world cup at Snowshoe, I saw that almost everyone especially top riders would ride their rollers or trainers right up to the point of gate drop almost. Some would ride for almost 30 minutes it seemed. Is the reason to prime the legs so that are fresh out of the gate? If I do not have rollers, what can I do to jump start my legs for my race in a couple weeks? Ride around the pits or parking lot for a bit maybe?

Thank you so much.

Sid

· Registered
475 Posts
No experience with sports legs, but in my experience/research, any supplement is "icing on the cake" and as you said is no replacement for training, a proper diet, rest, etc. I wouldn't bother, especially being your first race.

Yeah just ride around at a slow pace for a little bit before the race. I usually spin for around 15-30 minutes, keeping heart rate low, say 120bpm. I finish the warm up spin about 10 minutes before the race.

· Registered
20,210 Posts
I've used Sport Legs for skiing/snowboarding but not so much for bicycling. It felt like they worked as advertised.

They racers are warming up before their run. You don't want to go for broke when you're cold.

It's two weeks before your race. Have you been training?

· Registered
1,007 Posts
it doesnt make your legs stronger or let you bike longer, it just prevents you from knowing when your legs are getting weak, it's a weird feeling because you just start losing power and before you know it you cant pedal anymore despite feeling fine

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been riding about 30 miles every weekend. Working core and spin bike at the Y doing intervals 3 days a week. Been at this since June. Riding every week for about 2 years, but just this June I've picked it up. My legs are there I think, so is the cardio. The punchy climbs get me breathing and huffing, but when it levels out, so does me breathing quickly. 6' 3 200 lbs, lean.

I'll just do my normal stretch routine and ride around the pits for a bit I guess.

I am in the 50+ Masters class, so I don't know where I'll start, the back row I'd imagine. I will not go out full force, I'd rather get into my groove before I start to chase. Honestly, its my first MTB race and I'd just like to finish strong. Been doing hare-scramble motos for years. Never been a quick starter there either. Consistent laps and being there at the end is what I'm hoping for.

Thank you a ton guys

Sid

· Registered
20,210 Posts
I don’t do xc races anymore but one thing that never changed was that a race effort hurt no matter how fit or unfit I was. One thing that sort of helped was to ride around before the start hard enough to get my heart rate up to where it hurt a bit, then slow spin for awhile until it was time to line up at the start. Take this information for what it’s worth because I was a lousy xc racer.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
Yeah just ride around at a slow pace for a little bit before the race. I usually spin for around 15-30 minutes, keeping heart rate low, say 120bpm. I finish the warm up spin about 10 minutes before the race.
Especially for most xc races it's important to get plenty warm before the start and throw in a few good short efforts to spike your heart rate a little. It takes awhile before your body is ready for hard efforts so the idea is to get to the line well lubed and ready for a fast start.

· off to ride
256 Posts
I’d say ride teh amount of time it takes for your legs to get that wake up feeling. For me, it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get the legs firing. And towards the end, maybe an effort or two just to Get the heart rate up and then take a few minutes easy spinning.

Have fun at the race!

· Registered
1,455 Posts
I bought sportlegs once at rei because the guy swore it was the best. Followed the instructions and had the absolutely worst most painful race of my life. DNF'd after > 5 hours and 10k feet of climbing.

Sportslegs didn't appear to do anything for my performance, legs hurt, everything hurt. Choked down 3 of those pills every hour like the trained chimp that I am. Live and learn I guess.

Remember... the placebo effect is real, so it might help you, but I don't believe sportlegs actually does anything for performance. Took advantage of the REI 100% guarantee and returned that expensive bottle of placebo pills.

Want to know something that works? Have some beans, olive oil and a nice piece of salmon the night before the race. Eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast and stay ahead on your calories during the race. If you want to go big budget the tailwind product is expensive but works really well.

EDIT: and about the spinning before the race. Those are LEET riders, insanely fast and fit and they're trying to win. They start the race sprinting and go hard from then on, their start is crucial because they're trying to win. I saw a graph once about how long the warmup should be based on race length, there's whole protocols about intensity. Generally the warmup lets you go hard right away so helps a lot for short races (or if you're trying to win an elite race.) For everyone else just chill and ride your own race, do 3-4 15 second efforts 5 minutes before start, build intensity slowly, do it just so you aren't stone cold.

Chill though... you'll pass the slow losers that went out too hard and blew up, and you won't be in the way of the fast people. First race? Enjoy yourself and make that sorry slob hurt if he tries to pass you.

Reactions: cityjackit

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waste of money IMHO. In my experience Sportlegs does reduce the burning sensation in your legs a little bit, but it's going to happen regardless so you might as well just lean into it.
You know this weekend I ate 4 capsules, and was thinking the whole time..............okay, here we go, I'm going to get this huge painless boost. It never came. I honestly think I was as strong without as I was with. Placebo, I think you are on to something.

Thanks man.

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought sportlegs once at rei because the guy swore it was the best. Followed the instructions and had the absolutely worst most painful race of my life. DNF'd after > 5 hours and 10k feet of climbing.

Sportslegs didn't appear to do anything for my performance, legs hurt, everything hurt. Choked down 3 of those pills every hour like the trained chimp that I am. Live and learn I guess.

Remember... the placebo effect is real, so it might help you, but I don't believe sportlegs actually does anything for performance. Took advantage of the REI 100% guarantee and returned that expensive bottle of placebo pills.

Want to know something that works? Have some beans, olive oil and a nice piece of salmon the night before the race. Eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast and stay ahead on your calories during the race. If you want to go big budget the tailwind product is expensive but works really well.

EDIT: and about the spinning before the race. Those are LEET riders, insanely fast and fit and they're trying to win. They start the race sprinting and go hard from then on, their start is crucial because they're trying to win. I saw a graph once about how long the warmup should be based on race length, there's whole protocols about intensity. Generally the warmup lets you go hard right away so helps a lot for short races (or if you're trying to win an elite race.) For everyone else just chill and ride your own race, do 3-4 15 second efforts 5 minutes before start, build intensity slowly, do it just so you aren't stone cold.

Chill though... you'll pass the slow losers that went out too hard and blew up, and you won't be in the way of the fast people. First race? Enjoy yourself and make that sorry slob hurt if he tries to pass you.
Best damn advice I've seen yet. Thanks. Thats exactly how I ride my moto hare-scrambles. Start out easy, work into it, find my lines and eventually all the other riders come back to me at some point. Except the really fast guys. Steady and consistent always paid off for me.

What do you mean stay ahead on my calories?

Thanks again man.

· Registered
20,210 Posts
You know this weekend I ate 4 capsules, and was thinking the whole time..............okay, here we go, I'm going to get this huge painless boost. It never came. I honestly think I was as strong without as I was with. Placebo, I think you are on to something.

Thanks man.
Haha, there's no magic boost. When I've used Sport Legs I just didn't get tired as quickly but my overall performance was the same. Again, this was with skiing/snowboarding. They're no replacement for training.

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, there's no magic boost. When I've used Sport Legs I just didn't get tired as quickly but my overall performance was the same. Again, this was with skiing/snowboarding. They're no replacement for training.
You are exactly right. I'm beginning to see that. Due to work during the week, I can't get the bike out to the trails. Its only the weekends I can pound out the miles. During the week, its me and the spin bike at the Y spinning like mad changing intensity to mimic punchy climbs the best I can. Standing up, sitting back down, messing with the intensity. Its all I can do for now till I hit the lottery. :)

Sid

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Best damn advice I've seen yet. Thanks. Thats exactly how I ride my moto hare-scrambles. Start out easy, work into it, find my lines and eventually all the other riders come back to me at some point. Except the really fast guys. Steady and consistent always paid off for me.

What do you mean stay ahead on my calories?

Thanks again man.
Stay ahead on calories:

You have a certain amount of glucose stored in your muscles and liver. That is straight fuel for your muscles. The aerobic process converts oxygen and fat to sugar, that is the main source of fuel for your body during a race. You also produce glucose by eating food, especially carbohydrate and your body can use it right away or store it for your next sprint.

In a race you'll probably be exceeding your aerobic capacity to produce glucose and every time you do your body borrows glucose from its stores.

If you exceed your aerobic capacity for too long and you aren't digesting carbs you will literally run out of available glucose.That is called "bonking", you'll get cold and shakey and feel really terrible. The body of course has an out to obtain sugar - it starts burning your own muscle for glucose using a very dirty process and it also feels terrible.

Stay ahead on calories means keep yourself fed so you don't run out of glucose. Everyone can tolerate a different amount of food during an event, maybe 250 to 450 calories per hour. So in a race keep those carbs flowing into you and you're less likely to bonk.

Reactions: stripes

· Registered
20,210 Posts
You are exactly right. I'm beginning to see that. Due to work during the week, I can't get the bike out to the trails. Its only the weekends I can pound out the miles. During the week, its me and the spin bike at the Y spinning like mad changing intensity to mimic punchy climbs the best I can. Standing up, sitting back down, messing with the intensity. Its all I can do for now till I hit the lottery. :)

Sid
Hey, have fun at your first race. Keep your expectations low. Try not to vomit (too much). You're not going to win anyway.

See why I sucked at racing, lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.