Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought back my Old 05 Supermoto from a friend..
Got a couple of questions..
Anybody still running a 8.5 x 2.5 shock with the coffin link?
If so have you been happy with that?
What shock with that set-up?

Thanks for any help..
Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dan, surprised no-one has responded... Guess there aren't many SuMo riders out there anymore. The stock long travel shock was 8.75 x 2.75 for the coffin link. However an 8.5 x 2.5 shock could be used and would reduce travel to around 6.5" in the long travel setting. I found an 8.5" shock to cause the bike to sit too far in its travel when climbing but going down was fun. I've gone back to the 8.75 shock and never use the spare 8.5" shock any more.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
I just bought back my Old 05 Supermoto from a friend..
Got a couple of questions..
Anybody still running a 8.5 x 2.5 shock with the coffin link?
If so have you been happy with that?
What shock with that set-up?

Thanks for any help..
Dan
Didn't see this originally. I love the SuMo with the 8.5 and coffin link. It is super low and fun and has similar geometry to newer slack and low bikes on the market now. I never found it to be too low, but I don't do a ton of pedaling through rocks.

Shocks I have used:
Marz Roco Air R
Marz Roco TST coil
Fox DHX Air 5.0 (HV can with air can shim)
Romic
Fox DHX coil 5.0
Fox Float R (HV can with air can shim)

They all performed well, but I liked the Marz shocks best...although, I could never get full travel with the Roco Air.

Let me know if you have any other questions. This bike rules with the 8.5 & coffin rocker.

Fox

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies..

I put a Manitou Swinger 6 way coil 8.5 x 2.5 and really like...
I did notice it was sitting low in the travel at first, I put on a heavier spring and its stays up in the travel now..I really like the Geo now. My BB height went from about 14.25 to about 13 7/8"...Feels so much better especially on steeper/technical stuff Seems like it pedals better now also. I am very pleased so far...

Thanks,
Dan

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I took Geo's advice and ran the Coffin Rocker with an 8.5 DHX Coil, and loved it! I played around quite a bit with the mounting holes too and ended up liking the FR best.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My SuMo came with a Fox DHX air 8.5x2.5 and I converted it to the coffin rocker with a Cane Creek Double Barrel 8.75x2.75. I also tried the CCDB with the standard rocker, but liked it better with the coffin rocker. I ride it in the rocks a lot so I'm looking for some decent BB clearance. A low BB doesn't work for me, but can see where it had its advantages. It's all a matter of where you ride and what compromises you prefer.
You can compensate for a low BB with a stiffer spring and/or more spring preload, but that uses up a lot of the negative travel which hurts traction. To me, this is one of the big advantages of a coil over air, that you can have near zero preload at full extension and still have a proper amount of sag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.