Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am gonna try and press in my headset on a 05 supermoto, top cup fits fine but bottom cup just falls back out. Upon further inspection i see the top of the headtube has some sort of shim inside but the bottom is missing and seems to be some kind of glue residue inside. Anyone have any idea about this???

Mark

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
bogmonster said:
So i am gonna try and press in my headset on a 05 supermoto, top cup fits fine but bottom cup just falls back out. Upon further inspection i see the top of the headtube has some sort of shim inside but the bottom is missing and seems to be some kind of glue residue inside. Anyone have any idea about this???
I ran into a similar issue when I removed the headset from my 05 frame. the bottom cup wouldn't come loose when using a headset removal tool, and then I realized the tool was seated on said "shim". So yes, there is definitely a shim on the lower portion of the headtube also. The shim fits in pretty tightly, but I think it is just epoxied in. It could have come dislodged with the old headset, when you removed it and you didn't notice. Just an idea, do you still have the old headset?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.