Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (17 yrs old) is getting a Superlite, and is debating between a 80 or 100 mm fork. He is currently riding an old hardtail with a 63 mm Marzocchi Bomber on it (the old red one). He's thinking he wants an 80 mm fork, 'cuz he's afraid the 100 mm fork will be too slow in turning. I'm thinking once he rides it a bit, he might wish he had a bit more cush.

Any advice from Superlite riders out there? Any comments on balance, turning, etc on the two lengths of fork?

Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Grampa said:
My son (17 yrs old) is getting a Superlite, and is debating between a 80 or 100 mm fork. He is currently riding an old hardtail with a 63 mm Marzocchi Bomber on it (the old red one). He's thinking he wants an 80 mm fork, 'cuz he's afraid the 100 mm fork will be too slow in turning. I'm thinking once he rides it a bit, he might wish he had a bit more cush.

Any advice from Superlite riders out there? Any comments on balance, turning, etc on the two lengths of fork?

Thanks!
I just upgraded from a 80mm Manitou Mars to a 100mm Manitou Skareb on my Superlight a few weeks ago. My personal opinion is that what will work best is very much dictated by what type of trails you typically ride. My local trails are very technical with lots of rocks and roots on very steep terrain. After riding them for a few months I realized that some more travel could only be a good thing, hence my decision to get a 100mm fork. I'm very happy with the result, but yes, the steering has become slightly less responsive, though only slightly. I had to get a longer stem with zero degree rise also to compensate for the fact that the geometry had changed and my position on the bike was somewhat further back. Which made it climb less well. But with the new stem and some adjustment time, I can climb just like before while still being more aggressive on the descents. If your primary concern is to keep the bike light and good for racing and your local trails are not super-technical, I'd say go for 80mm, but if you want more of an aggressive XC/trailbike feel get the 100mm. BTW, I still race quite a bit with the 100mm fork and havn't found it to slow me down at all. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts