Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quest to make a light is turning into quite the project. I'm a sucker for light weight and need to beat my Ayup's in all aspects of performance for me to justify the effort of a DIY. Every gram is going to matter to me! I've seen quite a lot of slick switches and connectors on the forum but a lot are pretty chunky and made with lots of steel. Anyone have any suggestions of a minimalist approach towards switches and connectors?

Appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
jakomonster said:
My quest to make a light is turning into quite the project. I'm a sucker for light weight and need to beat my Ayup's in all aspects of performance for me to justify the effort of a DIY. Every gram is going to matter to me! I've seen quite a lot of slick switches and connectors on the forum but a lot are pretty chunky and made with lots of steel. Anyone have any suggestions of a minimalist approach towards switches and connectors?

Appreciate the suggestions.
Yeah, don't use any, (seriously).

See the links below to my lights.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
when I was searching for switches I decided to go with an external tactile like used in a thread about a "micro headlight" started by i think he is called pacifier.

Look at that thread for his switch idea.

The tactile type switches can be super small even with an LED inside. Some are 6mmx6mm square or smaller...that should be light enough. If you use a rubber coating over it you don't even need a housing so that would be light too.

YMWV

JB

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
jbflyfshr said:
when I was searching for switches I decided to go with an external tactile like used in a thread about a "micro headlight" started by i think he is called pacifier.
Here is the thread JB referenced.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=574292

I have ended up being quite happy with this little light. I don't recall seeing anything lighter or smaller with this output and runtime on this forum. I still wish for a bit more throw from the optics, but in all honesty, it works fine for me. I have used this with a single MC-E with a CMC-SS optic on the bars and it pairs quite nicely with that light.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Sorry Vancbiker

was going off a poor memory with names.:D

I think I am going with the tactle and some sort of seal material weather it is heat shrink or plastic dip. The decision is really based on my lack of tools to mill anything remotely as nice as his housing...

Also, any tricks to soldering those micro deans? I was trying with a crapy iron last night with less than stellar results :madman: :madman:

JB

·
Registered
716 Posts
re the Deans micro, you need to put the two halves together and use something to hold them steady while you solder on the wires
use the thinnest wire that you can get away with
whats up with your iron?? shape up the tip and keep it clean with a small medium file :thumbsup:

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Don't remember where I got the iron but it is not an expensive one I know that. started with the pointed tip first. Began with the battery leads and got a reasonably good connection visually. I wasnt sure if I should put the wires below or slightly to the side for space.

Second connector was a different story. 18gauge wire tinned and the deans then couldn't heat enough so switched to a wider tip and then it was too wide I guess and that is when I got frustrated to say the least...

I nearly bought one of the $25ish irons with the stand and everything but didn't, should have I guess.

·
Registered
537 Posts
How are the deans Micro's working out for you guys? Been looking all over the net for m-8 connectors and it's nearly impossible to find any snap lock small connectors that are in stock. Thanks..

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
My tactile switches cost me 5$ for 4 of them so cheap each really.

The deans micro plugs were 1.55 a set or so from a local hobby store. Once I got things soldered up they work great. I would not suggest them for other newbs since they are tiny and hard to work with...at least for my inexperienced lack of soldering skills.

The tactile switches are crazy light so if you are going to switch your light, that should be the way to go IMHO.

JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.