Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new bike and am uncertain whether to go with a Superlight or a Heckler. I'm 5'10" 170lbs and ride a lot of singletrack in Northeastern PA.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Heckler, unless you're going to be doing a LOT of climbing... :D

Seriously, it's a versatile machine. It can be built light (27lbs) or burly, and it genuinely does most things extremely well. Do a search.
If you want a featherweight sharp-steering thoroughbred, and your wheels don't leave the ground much, and you think you might enter an XC race or two, go with the SL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Superlight or heckler

I got a new superlight and ride mostly singletrack and cross country trails. I too live in NE PA, Hazleton to be exact, so most of my riding is done in the Jim Thorpe and Wilkes Barre areas. I know the heckler is a little more stout if you plan on doing any type of jumping, but I love the way my superlight sticks in the corners. It's just a simple easy to ride and easy to maintain bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the Heckler and I do like it alot, but, sometimes I think the Superlight may have suited me better. I should have test rode the superlight and then made my decision but I Thought there might be a day when I would go big and well I don't think I ever really go that big, but someday just someday I might!!! Seriously though if you want something efficient and fun bike the superlight will do you justice, and if you want more travel and fun the Heckler is great :thumbsup: depends on your budget too the superlight will save you some $$$

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd say Heckler, as previously mentioned you can build it light 27lb xc or 39lb freeride , mine is around 32lb built up for coping with more than I can ride, I stripped it down and put light bits on for an XC race weighed in just over 26lb put some Kenda small block 8's, hope pro III xc wheels,carbon bars , air shock, full xtr etc... boy did it feel quick,

·
Registered
201 Posts
Steve,
I was in the same boat as you concerning these 2 bikes. Then I realized I cannot put an accessible water bottle cage on the new Heckler. One camelback is not enough for my weekend rides, and certainly not in an endurance race. If someone has mounted one on a Heckler, please post some pics.

·
Dust eater
151 Posts
I would say

Race, fast efficient machine = SL.
Fun, fun, AM versatility, fun = Heckler

I did around 50 miles on some great rocky technical trails last weekend over 2 days on the Heckler, haven't regreted it one bit.

Don't discount the BLT either. I took my friends BLT1 for a quick spin an it it's an incredibly efficient pedalling bike. The Heckler is less so but probably a more grounded ride for AM/very light freeriding. The BLT could be the middle ground you are looking for.

G

·
I have ridden both and have a SL. Both are great and it would be hard to go wrong with either.

The SL is great at trails and climbing and can take a fair amount of abuse. Light, low center of gravity, steep geometry. On the newer SL you can mount a 120mm fork, that makes it more of a trail bike and a little less xc (unless you get an adjustable fork, then you can have both).

The Heckler is more a trail or AM bike that can take a lot of abuse (not huge, but a lot). It has a wider range of operation than the SL. Fairly light, slacker geometry, higher center of gravity makes for more of an all around bike, IMHO.

For me I went with a 2007 SL with a Revelation 426 100-130mm fork. Kind of in-between a stock SL and a Heckler.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Ive never ridden a Heckler, but I love my SL. Im basically 5'11 170 so we're the same size. Its an older model so I cant put a 120 fork on it, but I think I would like it better if I were able to.

I ride alot of front range CO stuff and while Im not crazy, I definitely take it on any AM riding that my friends ride on their Slayer and RFX. Hell, I can take it down to the park and jump it off 2-3 foot ledges to flat and it feels solid. Maybe thats a recipe for breaking the frame, but it doesnt feel outside the limits of the bike to me.

I guess it depends on more detailed description of what kind of riding you do. But count me as a Superlight fan. I tend to think that people shortchange the SL in regards to its abilities to ride ride stuff. (I'd love to get on a new BLT but the price difference between a SL and a BLT is pretty substantial which Im guessing is why youre looking at the single pivot bikes instead of the more expensive VPP designs.)

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Your personal preference is the biggest factor since both bikes are single piviot and are great all arounders. As others had mentioned the SL can be built as a cross country race bike to a light/medium duty trail bike, which is where it starts to blur the line between it and the Heckler which can be built as a xc trail bike or all mountain machine.

I have owned a 2005 SL, a 07 Blur XC and currently ride a 07 BLT and 29er HT. I wish I could say that I have ridden a Heckler to round it out completely but hopefully all this info you are getting will help you make your mind up. First of all out of all the bikes I have ridden the SL is still one of my favorites, the latest version that allows for a 120 mm fork, is said to be more rigid and takes almost no maint... this really takes the cake. I ride in the north east MD and south eastern PA area and think the new SL would be great with an adjustable fork as another member above had mentioned. This way you could find the geometry that suits your ride style best based on where you put the travel. This being said you could do the same with the Heckler. All things considered most riders who pedal up hills would choose the lightest bike that can handle their ride style.

What parts/components (wheel set, fork, crankset, tires, etc) do you plan on using to build it up and what kind of bike are you comming from? This info might give a bit of insight into your ride style.

·
Registered
353 Posts
knottshore said:
Your personal preference is the biggest factor since both bikes are single piviot and are great all arounders. As others had mentioned the SL can be built as a cross country race bike to a light/medium duty trail bike, which is where it starts to blur the line between it and the Heckler which can be built as a xc trail bike or all mountain machine.

I have owned a 2005 SL, a 07 Blur XC and currently ride a 07 BLT and 29er HT. I wish I could say that I have ridden a Heckler to round it out completely but hopefully all this info you are getting will help you make your mind up. First of all out of all the bikes I have ridden the SL is still one of my favorites, the latest version that allows for a 120 mm fork, is said to be more rigid and takes almost no maint... this really takes the cake. I ride in the north east MD and south eastern PA area and think the new SL would be great with an adjustable fork as another member above had mentioned. This way you could find the geometry that suits your ride style best based on where you put the travel. This being said you could do the same with the Heckler. All things considered most riders who pedal up hills would choose the lightest bike that can handle their ride style.

What parts/components (wheel set, fork, crankset, tires, etc) do you plan on using to build it up and what kind of bike are you comming from? This info might give a bit of insight into your ride style.
What this person says hits the nail on the head I had the Heckler out thursday (clipless) and Sat (platforms) and I can mob and power it through everything and have a good time, but, I think the Superlight would handle even better on the tight stuff and the uphills. While I was out riding your dilemma popped into my head and I am 100% sure that a Superlight would handle 90% of the trails I ride but, the Heckler gives me the option of picking slightly more rediculous lines (if that makes any sense). I like the clearance the Heckler gives me in Rocky terrain and I know I could cope with the Superlight and have just as much fun because of the efficiency it offers on the mob and power sections.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.