Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used xs Pivot for my daughter.
Needs a new cockpit to get it sized down.

Does anybody make a superlight handlebar for kids? I've got a Wren stem and Trailcraft cranks so its already established that this bike has a rider weight limit. If somebody made a 640mm wide bar with a 100# rider limit that would be perfect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went with a set of cheap ($20) carbon bars from EBay. They were just over 100g, they appear to be more than enough for a kid, I would even consider a set for my bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
We did a Chinese carbon one as well, was stupidly light. Paired it with the thin ESI racer's edge grips and it works great for small hands. The chunky's are a hair cheaper and only 2mm thicker as well.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Protaper Junit bars are nice for small hands and can be cut down that small.
I second these as a potential option. The combo of bar and grips is around 230g I think which is usually on par with a light carbon bar and adult grips. I think itll be a bit more compliant being alum and small diameter stuff. We've been happy with them on our 24" with wren stem etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I second these as a potential option. The combo of bar and grips is around 230g
Just need to double check, are you sure about that weight?

I just (today!) received the Junit handlebar/grip kombo and they show 327g on the kitchen scale (uncut bar at 680mm). The bar is 260g and grips 67g. I'll cut the bar to 600mm which should shave a few grams.

Before we used the KCNC SC Bone flat bar (aluminium, 600mm) at 131g with the Spawn/Brood grips at 98g.

So the very nice grip diameter reduction (from 28mm to 22mm) comes with about 100g weight penalty for us ?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

I just (today!) received the Junit handlebar/grip kombo and they show 327g on the kitchen scale (uncut bar at 680mm). The bar is 260g and grips 67g. I'll cut the bar to 600mm which should shave a few grams.

Before we used the KCNC SC Bone flat bar (aluminium, 600mm) at 131g with the Spawn/Brood grips at 98g.

So the very nice grip diameter reduction (from 28mm to 22mm) comes with about 100g weight penalty for us ?
Ah I'm sure you are right and that I'm transposing some numbers.

·
Registered
979 Posts

About the same as I'd observed in my prior write-up about them: https://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/protaper-junit-bars-grips-1104307.html

I measured 71g grips and 260g for uncut bars (240g after cutting down to 580mm)

The only published spec on their site says "245g" -- not sure what they were measuring to get to that number:
https://shop.hayesperformance.com/c...roducts/protaper-j-unit-handlebar-grips-combo

·
Registered
200 Posts
Am I the only one concerned about strength of a chinese carbon bar? I'd hate for a kid to get sliced open on a broken bar from a crash. I initially considered swapping to a carbon bar and seatpost on my kids' bikes for easy weight reduction but just couldn't do it.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
Am I the only one concerned about strength of a chinese carbon bar? I'd hate for a kid to get sliced open on a broken bar from a crash. I initially considered swapping to a carbon bar and seatpost on my kids' bikes for easy weight reduction but just couldn't do it.
You definitely aren't the only one concerned. But IME for a kid, at least the one we got, there's no way they're going to break it under anything close to normal riding. I've tried breaking one, it would take either a defective one or an absolutely spectacular crash.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wasn’t too worried, if you get one, you will be amazed at the quality. I have put a lot of force on this one and it doesn’t budge.

I am sure there are some out there that are questionable, but this particular one was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I would be concerned if a normal weight person was riding it on aggressive trails. I've seen name brand carbon bars break from unimpressive crashes.
However, for a 75# rider who isnt jumping yet, I think thats a safe application

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.