Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crosley623
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the news that I get the unlucky privilege of taking a job in Superior, AZ. It's just far enough to justify staying 3-4 nights. Does anyone know of any biking within a few miles of Superior. Any info help

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
crosley623 said:
Just got the news that I get the unlucky privilege of taking a job in Superior, AZ. It's just far enough to justify staying 3-4 nights. Does anyone know of any biking within a few miles of Superior. Any info help
Not sure about in Superior proper, but be sure to rent the movie U-Turn while you are there.

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
If you do free-ridey stunt type stuff, I bet there is some fun to be had up the hill at Oak Flats Campground where the Phx Bouldering Contest is held. Wear armor. That stuff is sharp!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,533 Posts
Wasn't there a movie about that place?

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
There is a trail head at Picketpost Mountain just South of Superior. You can access the Arizona Trail and I think and a circumference trail around P P Mtn. There are also portions of the AZT that head North up to the wilderness boundary.

Attachments

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Plenty of riding out that way!

In addition to the spanking free riding out at Oak Flats there is also a nice network of jeep trail and critter trails.

Ditto on the AZ trail @ Picket Post.

Wood Canyon is just outside of Superior to the SW, an it can be ridden as part of a loop that picks up parts of the AZT and loops back into Superior via FR4 (?) on the SE side of Picket Post.

Also there is some fun stuff out at Battle Ax Butte just a few miles south of Superior.

Some shots from Oak Flats.

I'd say your set up pretty well.

Attachments

·
Crosley623
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all of the input. It looks like the jobsite is located about 5 miles East of Superior, looks to be right near those trails. Maybe this relocation will have a few perks after all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So are you working for the mining company that wants to turn the whole place into one big crater?

In case anyone doesn't know, there is a bill in Congress that will trade out the Oak Flat area for some
other lands down south and allow them to mine this area, which will basically turn it into a big hole in the ground.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Um... no.

Don't want to be combative, but here's the scoop...

The Resolution Copper Company (a subsidiary of Rio Tinto and BHP Biliton) is looking to get legislation to pass in Congress so that they can swap out other parcels of land for the Oak Flat Parcel. They claim to have found the largest deposit of copper in North America and maybe the world under that parcel. The Oak Flat Campground area is currently protected by executive order explicitly from mining. This will change if they can get the bill to pass. The bill was sponsored by John Kyl and is called : Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act of 2007 (S.1862/H.R.3301), although they recently reintroduced it and are looking to get a hearing on it in the Senate next month.

If the bill goes through and Resolution Copper gets to mine the parcel, they are going to block-cave mine it. In a nutshell, this means they will dig WAY down (the deposit is way deep), then over under the ore, then blow the ceiling out, collect the ore and the repeat this process until they have the ore body (estimated at something like 1.5% copper or so). Surprisingly enough, if they create this big underground void, even 7000 feet down, the surface will start to subside. They are estimating subsidence at 150-300 feet, so there will be a crater when all is said and done. Getting title to this parcel of land is two fold... it removes the executive order protection against mining it, and also allows them to subside it.

John Rickus is no longer the president of RCC. The new president is David Salisbury.

The rock climbing group dealing with RCC has a web site: http://www.queencreekcoalition.com that has some information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.