Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh...

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else, but I wanted to put down my experience to see if anyone else has had similar problems.

I ordered a Giro Xen helmet, Finish Line 3 pack, bottle cage and Sigma Sport BC 1600/RDS Combo from supergo.com. Supposedly all items were in stock.

Three days and two e-mails after placing the order (I live in Japan, so the first e-mail was to reconfirm the shipping address), I hadn't heard anything, so I e-mailed again and got this:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

I have forwarded your email to our International Dept. A reply should
follow shortly.

Regards,
Amy
Customer Service

I called customer service, and my first call wouldn't go through, because the number they list for "international" calls didn't seem to like that I was calling from an overseas number. (Strange message asking me to dial the number from a phone without restrictions...)

The I called the 800 number and spoke with Reda, who told me that only Heidi handled international orders. When I asked how to contact her, she said, she can only be contacted by e-mail. Reda refused to give me either her last name or Heidi's last name. I said I was caling from overseas, and I didn't mind paying the international rates to speak with Heidi directly. Her response: "As I told you, she can only be contacted by e-mail."

Great.

Another e-mail and another call lead me nowhere, other than to verify my order was "not yet in the system" and that my credit card "probably hadn't been authorized" yet.

A call to my credit card company confirmed that supergo.com hadn't tried to bill my card at all. So I sent and e-mail saying I wanted the order cancelled and then called and tried to cancel the order. I was told Jason that (on Friday afternoon) he couldn't find my order, and that customer service only accepted order entry, and he had talked with his manager and there was nothing he could do, because Heidi wouldn't be in tomorrow... So I told him I had already send an e-mail and that he only needed to leave a note to the same effect for Heidi. He said he would see what he could do.

I called my credit card company and mentioned that 4 e-mails and 3 calls had not gotten me anywhere, and my credit card company confirmed I had sent an e-mail and tried to contact them by phone. They then entered a note in their system confirming I was cancelling the order.

Anyways...that's my rant. Jenson USA priced matched two of the things I wanted, and the Xen Giro helmet turns into a slightly more expensive 05 model instead of a 04 model, but that's fine. My price matching was handled very quickly, and so far so good. Assuming they handle the order correctly, I'll know who to order from next time for price matching next time supergo.com has the best price on something.

That was my experience, I'm sure other people have ordered from them no problem...I'm just not one of those people, I guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Man that is tough times. You did all of the contacting you could possibly do(unlike someone in another thread)! In the end, they lost the business to someone else.

As an x retail business owner, a lost sale no matter how much it is, is a sad day. At least that is the way I saw things as a business owner.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 2 best places that I know to order from are JensonUSA and Speedgoat. These 2 places have the best customer service that I've ever had the pleasure of working with, especially Speedgoat. Speedgoat handles there customers face to face, or in my email to email, they've replied to everyone of my emails and have been very helpful to me. JensonUSA is also extremely reliable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah well, the famous Heidi ...

I'm wondering if she really exist!

Supergo used to be one of my favourite shops to order from (I live in Switzerland). When they reworked their web site some two years ago, they've totally erased their internationally shipping policy, too. It was no longer possible to get an online shipping quote and you've always had to contact (or wait for) the famous Heidi.

When you do place an order, it takes usually one week for Heidi to contact you be mail. She's the one authority to give out a shipping quote. At that time you've always have the possibility to cancel your order.

Prost,
Braumeister

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Braumeister said:
When you do place an order, it takes usually one week for Heidi to contact you be mail. She's the one authority to give out a shipping quote. At that time you've always have the possibility to cancel your order.
Really!? :eek:
Well, now, that does explain it! The $19.00 shipping is explained! No wonder they had the cheapest shipping.

I selected Japan, entered the address and was told, "INTERNATIONAL FEDEX" on my order receipt! I bet "Heidi" finds out what shipping is, she contacts you with the new quote for your order...

If that is what they do, that's horrible! :mad:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Superslow

I'm over Superslow.I also have been stuffed around by the mysterious Heidi.She must be the only one working in the international dept?Twice i have received orders that took 10 weeks to ship to Australia.Yeah i know i choose the cheap and slow USPS but other companies that i now use ship USPS and take about a week? and don't stuff me around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
International ordering

I've had no problem getting replies from Heidi - but I am a bit upset that you enter your address and have their website quote a shipping fee by USPS ... then have Heidi requote as you are an International customer - either the site should not quote or should be able to get the quote right.
Fortunately my brother lives in the states so I had the gear sent to him...It's getting too much of a hassle though and I think that I too will be shopping elsewhere.
Any suggestions about reliable companies that will ship International by post?

bigdamo said:
I'm over Superslow.I also have been stuffed around by the mysterious Heidi.She must be the only one working in the international dept?Twice i have received orders that took 10 weeks to ship to Australia.Yeah i know i choose the cheap and slow USPS but other companies that i now use ship USPS and take about a week? and don't stuff me around.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Shouldn't matter.

J-RAD said:
Man that is tough times. You did all of the contacting you could possibly do(unlike someone in another thread)! In the end, they lost the business to someone else.

As an x retail business owner, a lost sale no matter how much it is, is a sad day. At least that is the way I saw things as a business owner.
These companys have no problem taking your money through the Internet but can't respond through the same medium as efficiently. That's poor customer service. I work for a retailer with over 300 retail stores in 70 countries and a "direct to customer" business that in this country alone would dwarf any bicycle retailer. The customer's satisfaction is paramount in our thoughts, regardless of the size of the order or the method it was placed through. Do we always succeed? No. Do we always try? Yes. The customer is paying the salary of those employed at a retail business, why should that customer have to make all the effort in correcting a problem caused by that retailer? Most of those who have responded to these complaint threads seem to think these retailers are doing us a favor by making money from us and that ain't so kids. Without us, they're nothing, nowhere, zip, nada.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jenson USA

tegski said:
Jenson USA required me to send them an image of the front and back of my Visa card and photo ID...but they also always replied to any e-mails within 24 hours, and both Jenson USA and FedEx were remarkably efficient in getting my shipment to me in less than 72 hours! (Considering I live in Japan, and shipping was relatively reasonable, I was very, very impressed.)

While I've only ordered from them once, I was able to repeated get a prompt response from the same employee who was handling my order, and I will certainly give them repeat business. YMMV, but it seems to be the most reasonable way for me to get things from the US that I can't find in Japan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am also from Australia and have been trying to make a purchase off them for over three months now. And not a small purchase a bike (an SGS freeride expert) and approx US$750 worth of other equip. It took me a long time to decide on all the parts i wanted, price match and then i get the 'we have to authorise your shipping address'. So i give them the details and wait for the authorisation to occur. I then get a responce, i am sorry your bank will not verbally authorise the order has been cancelled. My bank will not verbally authorise but would provide email authorisation, not good enough for Supergo.

After numerous attempts and finally finding the one bank in OZ that will verbally verify and getting a credit card off them, I try again. Again we cannot authorise your shipping address because the bank is not open during our business hours. @#%$##$%.

The bank that will authorise verbally opens at 6pm their time but no one will stay back to confirm the details. I am still stupid enough to be still trying, supposedly i can get a US friend to make the purchase on their card and they will authorise then send to me. I really want an IH bike.

I would be interested in hearing from others from OZ who have successfully purchased from SuperGo, what bank they are using? Or is there another shop that is has a similar range and will ship to OZ, particularly IH bikes.

And also i placed an order on the 7point7 when there was 48% off, i get a responce saying that it was a mistake and the correct price is XXXX but i have heard rummors that people actually got it for that price. Would also be interested in hearing from anyone who did.. My deallings with SuperGo has been way less than ideal....

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Supergo has a really poor website and poor customer service. I have ordered several sale items in the past that are listed in stock and never received a conform, to find out when calling the item has been sold out for months. The only upshot is they don't charge your card and simply cancel the order without notifying you.

As others have said, Jenson is probably the best of the major retailers. They answer e-mails and the phone and do what they promise. I also suggest you check out Larry at Mountain High and Chad at Red Barn Cycles.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
tegski said:
All of the following have shipped USPS (either air, surface or both, at different times) to Australia:

Mountain High Cyclery
Phattire
Bikesource
Bikeman (but I don't think will do it now)
Supergo (this was some time ago and, by the comments in this thread, their service has droped). As per other comments, they have to quote you a shipping cost after you have ordered, but this has always been quick and reasonably priced.

Bikesource has been very good at price matching, Phattire is very pleasant to deal with and can sometimes price match, MHC is good and has good prices, but some times difficult to contact, or at least get to respond to my e-mail enquiries. I usually place orders with MHC by phone - OK as I already get up early in the morning. I also use Jenson at times if the shipping costs, usually now a minimum of US$44, is a quarter of the total purchase price or less. For some reason with Jenson I always have to ring and ask them to actually release the order a few days after ordering it, but this is no big deal.

Cambria also indicates that it will ship USPS, but you have to ask for the price.

Surface mail takes about 12 weeks and has limited insurance available, so you have to be patient and willing to take some risk. It has always worked for me, including forks, and can reduce the total cost a fair bit.

Wombat

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad to see other people have Heidi stories too.

Last year I tried to order some Hayes disk brakes from the SuperGo web-site. I live in Ireland and wanted the goods shipped there, paying by credit card.

I ordered and a couple of weeks went by. Queried by email and got back a response to the effect that my credit card would not be authorised. This is the same card that I happily use with amazon, ebay etc etc. An email exchange with Heidi ensued, I checked with Mastercard if there might be a problem, no problem according to them, but still no budge from Supergo.

OK, I said, try my corporate AmEx card. Would'nt accept it either. I could never get a sensible reason from Heidi as to why my cards were declined. Checked it out with others on the Irish MTB web forum and surprise, surprise, anyone else who had tried to buy from Supergo got exactly the same treatment. Went after Heidi again, and got a request from her that she wanted a guarantee from the govenor of the Irish Central Bank as to the validity of my credit cards !!!!

Now maybe Heidi does'nt get out much or watch CNN or whatever, but Ireland is not an ex-Soviet republic, tentatively taking its first steps on the world stage. I won't insult this boards readership with a defence of the economic wellbeing and stability of my country, suffice to say, its not a problem.

I can't see Supergo being long for this world; the Irish markets blown for sure :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.