Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIDE TO LIVE
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the news from my LBS that GF has the updated Fly SS. There is a limited quantity that is ready to start shipping in Jan. Next shipment is March. They only had 5 frames in 15'5" left so I snagged one. Can't wait to see how it compares to my 08 Rig (had a 06 Rig before that).

Now I have to decide which 170mm crank to put on it. I could rob the SWorks carbon crank from my Epic but then I'm left having to replace that one. This bike will be used for racing so weght and stiffness are tops on my list.

I'm hoping to complete the build under 20lbs with my Stans 355/DT 240 wheelset, Formula R1 brakes and all my carbon goodies from my Rig.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
LIV2RYD said:
I just got the news from my LBS that GF has the updated Fly SS. There is a limited quantity that is ready to start shipping in Jan. Next shipment is March. They only had 5 frames in 15'5" left so I snagged one. Can't wait to see how it compares to my 08 Rig (had a 06 Rig before that).

Now I have to decide which 170mm crank to put on it. I could rob the SWorks carbon crank from my Epic but then I'm left having to replace that one. This bike will be used for racing so weght and stiffness are tops on my list.

I'm hoping to complete the build under 20lbs with my Stans 355/DT 240 wheelset, Formula R1 brakes and all my carbon goodies from my Rig.
How about these? The graphics even kind of match:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=CR8145

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
The three options provided so far are all good. Of the three, I'd go with the Shimano XTR option. A member on this forum (Crazy8) takes the Shimano FC-M960 cranks and modifies them for single speed use. They're sweet cranks just for us SS riders.

Part of the modification process is a ceramic coating. This not only looks good, but it protects your cranks. This was one of the biggest selling points for me.

What I really like about this option is your ability to customize your cranks. Of course you get all the standard options (crank length, ceramic BB option, ring size, ring material), but you also get your choice of coating color. Not only that, but you can choose from glossy or matte finish or even something in the middle. Even a simple black can be done with different sheens (e.g. matte crank arms, but glossy hardware). The possibilities are nearly endless. The end result is something really unique that will perform well and look just as good.

I love the cranks I got - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you're interested, definitely send a PM to Crazy8 here on MTBR. He'll answer all your questions, show you samples, etc. If nothing else, it's at least worth a look.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
RockyGuy said:
The three options provided so far are all good. Of the three, I'd go with the Shimano XTR option. A member on this forum (Crazy8) takes the Shimano FC-M960 cranks and modifies them for single speed use. They're sweet cranks just for us SS riders.

Part of the modification process is a ceramic coating. This not only looks good, but it protects your cranks. This was one of the biggest selling points for me.

What I really like about this option is your ability to customize your cranks. Of course you get all the standard options (crank length, ceramic BB option, ring size, ring material), but you also get your choice of coating color. Not only that, but you can choose from glossy or matte finish or even something in the middle. Even a simple black can be done with different sheens (e.g. matte crank arms, but glossy hardware). The possibilities are nearly endless. The end result is something really unique that will perform well and look just as good.

I love the cranks I got - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you're interested, definitely send a PM to Crazy8 here on MTBR. He'll answer all your questions, show you samples, etc. If nothing else, it's at least worth a look.

Good luck with your build!
Very interesting stuff, I have not heard about this. I have some XTR M950 cranks that could use some sprucing up. Are there any threads with pictures of his work? Very interested!

Mark

Edit: Forget it, I found it:

http://www.ceramikoat.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.