Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Warrantee

fraseot said:
The metal chain guard above the bottom bracket fell off of my Superfly for the second time. Anyone know of a good carbon fiber safe adhesive to make sure this doesn't happen again?
That is part of the frame, should not fall off and should be replaced. I recall a post where a Superfly owner lost that piece and continued to use the bike. After some chainsuck, the chain wore through the frame. Fisher would not warrantee the frame because he rode without the metal piece. They offered him a crash replacemen instead for a fee.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first time it fell off, I didn't realize it until after the ride. I took it to the LBS and they ordered another and glued it on under warranty. It's now about a month later and the second one fell off. This time, I heard it come off during the ride and found it on the trail. Although it is still under warranty, I would like to glue it back on myself in a way that it WILL NOT come off again.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i had the same problem, after various chainsucks i lost the protection plate. after re-checking with gary fisher i used a 2 component epoxy glue and up to now it works. i will in addition wrap the chainstay with fiber tape and use an old tire wrapped around the chainstay as protection.

be very, very careful riding without the protection plate, only one light chain suck may ruin your frame forever. i had one chain suck after loosing the plate (fortunately i realized when i lost it) and immediately stopped pedaling. i was shocked to see how deep the chain made it into the chainstay. before with the protection plate i had in very muddy and wet conditions and too long chain at least 30 chain sucks without damaging the frame at all; o.k., in the end the chain grabbed the corner of the plate and pulled it off.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If that piece IS NOT supposed to fall off and Fisher WILL NOT warranty if it does and the frame gets damaged....Then, by all means tell your shop this and request a warranty frame. After you the get the frame replaced or repaired, take an old inner tube cut into a 1" strip and wrap the entire chainstay. Secure the ends with adhesive tape or zip ties or both. Now if you chainsuck no damaged metal doohickey or carbon chainstay. Also the tube will keep your metal doohickey from falling off and chain slap noise reduced to a muffle. The End

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
I ended up just taking it back to the LBS and after speaking with GF, they used JB Weld. Its on like white on rice now.

That took care of the protector plate above the bottom bracket. Since the chainstay guard was beneath my innertube wrap they didn't fool with it. Unfortunately it came off following some chainsuck this past weekend. Luckily I stopped before any damage was done to the frame. More JB weld...:madman:

·
Registered
34 Posts
What kind of chains/cranksets/sprockets are you using when the consistent chainsucks are happening? Had an issue with a certain crankset a few years ago and straightened the problem out by not using that brand anymore.

It was an XT that sucked the chain, threw a cheap sram (truvativ) crankset on and the prob went away. Running a truvativ noir 1.1 or stylo 1.1 this season, no granny gear needed and it gives more clearance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
fraseot said:
they used JB Weld.
JB weld? That seems like a jerry rigged fix to me. I think that if parts are falling off a frame, it's the company's responsibility to fix the design flaw and give you a new frame. Not tell the LBS to jb weld the part back on. :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All OEM drivetrain components. The metal plate above the bottom bracket came off without anything ever touching it (no chainsuck). However, this latest one was caused by a pretty severe chainsuck during a muddy epic ride. Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle chain Crankset Gear Iron

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i had minor chain suck and the chainstay protector popped off, took a layer
of carbon with it. fisher offered crash replacement frame for $800, i laughed and said
i will glue it back on. probably won't buy i fisher again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where to get replacement

My chainsuck plate came off while riding, lost forever. 2008 Superfly.

The LBS says that Fisher doesn't have the replacement plate and will not have them ever.

Is this BS?

How can this not be available?

Does anyone know what I can do to verify and obtain a replacement?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Call Fisher

kush said:
My chainsuck plate came off while riding, lost forever. 2008 Superfly.

The LBS says that Fisher doesn't have the replacement plate and will not have them ever.

Is this BS?

How can this not be available?

Does anyone know what I can do to verify and obtain a replacement?

Thanks in advance
yourself and ask. I can't believe the all powerful Fisher cannot obtain a plate for you. Who ever has there carbon frame contract should jump through hoops for them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
my plate went off for the 2nd time.

last time i got a spare one from gary fisher so i am fine. i will glue it one more time and wrap it this time with a tube, if it does not hold again i am returning the frame as well. i doubt that gary fisher can deny taking the frame back. if a chainsuck protection device gets pulled off by a chainsuck and the frame is not ridable anymore after this there not much to be discussed.

i am afraid that ones the plate falls off it will never hold up well anymore. there simply is no clean and even surface to re-glue it.

really a pitty, i love to ride the superfly but this is no fun.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
hellocook said:
be very, very careful riding without the protection plate, only one light chain suck may ruin your frame forever. i had one chain suck after loosing the plate (fortunately i realized when i lost it) and immediately stopped pedaling. i was shocked to see how deep the chain made it into the chainstay. before with the protection plate i had in very muddy and wet conditions and too long chain at least 30 chain sucks without damaging the frame at all; o.k., in the end the chain grabbed the corner of the plate and pulled it off.
WTF?!? Am I missing something here? Why in the hell would ANYONE want a mountain bike that is this fragile? I have read about numerous superfly frames having "puncture" holes from rocks flying up from the front tire. Seems like this kind of carbon might be o.k. for road bikes but not suited for mountain bikes. If a bike company wants to make a carbon frame, at least make the carbon lay-up thick enough to handle actual mountain biking.:nono:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.