Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which hardtail to buy? My lbs has giant and trek and i cant decide on a suerfly or xtc. They are probably pretty similar and i am going to upgrade the drivetrain to xx1 anyway. Is one frame and wheels better than the other

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which hardtail to buy? My lbs has giant and trek and i cant decide on a suerfly or xtc. They are probably pretty similar and i am going to upgrade the drivetrain to xx1 anyway. Is one frame and wheels better than the other
Get the trek simply because Giant continues to be stubborn with their Overdrive steerer. Good luck buying aftermarket stems, or forks with that system.

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
I see you have listed a couple Giant bikes already.
For me the XTC used a steep ht angle(71.5) to get 29 wheels to steer quick. But the bike is twitchy going downhill as the speed picks up. 440mm chain stays. unchanged geo for a few years.
Trek used more fork offset(51mm) to get faster steering and a slacker ht angle(68.6) which maintains stability going downhill. 435mm chain stays also speed things up. New geo and carbon frame for 2014. The compliance makes it ridable over a broad range of terrain.
More in this thread--
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/29er-hardtail-me-910245.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see you have listed a couple Giant bikes already. For me the XTC used a steep ht angle(71.5) to get 29 wheels to steer quick. But the bike is twitchy going downhill as the speed picks up. 440mm chain stays. unchanged geo for a few years. Trek used more fork offset(51mm) to get faster steering and a slacker ht angle(68.6) which maintains stability going downhill. 435mm chain stays also speed things up. New geo and carbon frame for 2014. The compliance makes it ridable over a broad range of terrain. More in this thread-- http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/29er-hardtail-me-910245.html
+1 nice link..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Trek with their G2 off set... Good luck upgrading the fork... I would go Giant better bikes in my honest opinion. I have both and prefer the Giant. But you should ride both and choose the one that feels best. If I had to do it all over again I would have never bought my Trek but that's my 2 cents.

Happy riding

·
Registered
192 Posts
XTC. Way better value. You will get better component set per $.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since you are upgrading the components the specs on bike mean nothing then unless taking the Supefly Carbon. For me Trek Superfly and yes you can get G2 forks on the net and Trek been making 29ers longer than anyone. Moving to Trek Stache 29er from Giant XTC. Had considered the Superfly but the Stache is more of the all around bike I am looking for and I don't race much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts