Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on picking up a FS 29er for XC riding and occasional racing, and both of these are on my list.

I'm clear on the component differences between the two, as well as the fact that the 100 AL Elite has 110mm of rear travel, vs the 100 of the FS8.

What I'm not clear on is the geometry differences. It looks like the geometry on the FS8 is the same as the higher-end Superfly FS'es, so I assume it's the 'racier' of the two - but the fact that the 100 AL has a steeper head tube angle (granted, only 71 vs 70 on the FS8) seems pretty strange.

So, can anybody elaborate on how the two bikes are going to be/feel different from a geometry perspective? Not sure I'll be able to demo both of 'em.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I tried to buy the 2013 Al 100 Elite as my LBS had them on sale at about 30% off. But when I made enquiries about buying one they had sold out of mediums so the guy offered me the 2014 FS8 for the same price. Don't know about the difference between the two as I haven't ridden the Elite all I know is the FS 8 felt brilliant from the get go and fitted me like a glove. It was as comfy as an old slipper and is a fantastic ride. I have read that the 2013 was more of a XC/trail bike but the 2014 is more of a dedicated XC racer since the Fuel Ex is Treks designated 'trail' bike now but I don't really know what that means. As you have noted the head tube angle is 1° slacker and to me it rides great as a general trail bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts