Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for 29'ers, and have pretty much decided on a Salsa El Mariachi, but then I came across a slightly used XL Superfly.

I'm 5'11", w/ a 32" inseam, and 245 lbs. Am I too heavy for this bike? (no hucking or serious hard riding)

If not, would an XL be an appropriate size for me, or is that too big? For reference, I feel great on a L El Mariachi, and am selling my M Prophet 4000 mainly b/c I erred it feels too small for me.

It's way more bike than I'd ever need, but I wouldn't have to worry about outgrowing it.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
That bike will hold up fine, for its intended purpose. XC racing, not trail riding. I am a clyde, who is a smidge taller with a 33 inch inseam and I can tell you that the 19" is the biggest you will want to go. I have been rocking a full carbon front end((carbon stem, carbon bar, carbon rigid fork) on my rig for almost 2 years now. BTW, I live in PA, and our trails are certainly abusive, buff is never used to describe anything round these parts. I will be getting a superfly, prob next year though.
PS, personally, I cannot get into Salsas geometry, to each his own, a lot of people like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I'm about 195 suited up, and have been riding a SuperFly extensively since November. Not a whimper from the bike, and I ride it perhaps a bit beyond its intended use of xc racing. More trail riding, but not too abusive.

I'm 6'2" with kind of short legs, and ride the XL. I wouldn't want anything smaller, because it would put me into a more upright posture.

I dig the bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. When y'all say it's meant for XC racing, but not trail riding, what exactly do y'all mean by that? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on one tomorrow, as I test rode one yesterday and fell in love.

I wouldn't do any super technical trail riding, but would like to be able to have fun w/o worrying about it. Should I lower my sights to a Paragon instead? Aside from the frames, any idea which will have the more durable parts in general (esp. wheelset)?

I could be happy w/ a Paragon, but the Superfly is just so damn sexy!

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
XC racing is usually on relatively buff trails( i live on the east coast and I am using relatively loosly here), with no drops, log obstacles no bigger than 18". You can ride these bikes on skankier trails, but you must be consiencous about the lines you choose and keep the drops to a minimum(foot or less). Get the superfly, it is stronger than the paragon, just don't crack it from a wreck or something, then, the paragon would be better. There are plenty of superflys here on the east coast, our trails are so far from buff it is not even funny. Every XC race I go to I see more and more superflys. The start of this season was outrageous the amount of superflys that showed up. Basically it comes down to this, do not go for any air, unless it is a bunnyhop. Don't go ride jumps, drops, elevated wooden structures that require a jump at the end. Use your head, this is a XC racing weapon.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
cms_atx said:
Thanks for the feedback. When y'all say it's meant for XC racing, but not trail riding, what exactly do y'all mean by that? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on one tomorrow, as I test rode one yesterday and fell in love.

I wouldn't do any super technical trail riding, but would like to be able to have fun w/o worrying about it. Should I lower my sights to a Paragon instead? Aside from the frames, any idea which will have the more durable parts in general (esp. wheelset)?

I could be happy w/ a Paragon, but the Superfly is just so damn sexy!
The Paragon has the more durable parts spec- Rhythm wheels are stiffer than the Race x lites due to a wider rim. From what I've seen on these boards and elsewhere, the Paragon is about 2 lbs heavier than the Superfly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I picked up a Paragon after work today. Took my first ride when I got home (mostly on the street), and really liked it. Those big hoops sure roll fast!

Not used to the stiff ride, though - I like the efficiency, but I hope I don't miss full suspension too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.