Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I last discussed this subject I was bemoaning the apparent loss of the Marzocchi Superfly that was on my Bontrager Privateer. This was my first race bike the first bike I ever converted to Singlespeed and I looked forward to passing it down to my 12 year old son. After several years of none use, I decided to send the fork to be rebuilt by Marzocchi. Unfortunately Marzocchi said the fork had a corroded stanchion that left the fork too suspect to rebuild. Now, it’s not that I’m opposed to upgrading old bikes, but the Superfly turned what was a good bike into a bike to die for. I posted that I was thinking of retiring the bike and the singlespeed posters responded with a resounding, NO! So, I started cruising ebay for a possible replacement, but it was a have hearted search. However, after bidding on a X-fly, I noticed the seller explained in great length how he re-builds every Marzocchi fork he sells. I sent an email to the seller, Mark P and explained the stanchion problem with my Superfly. Mark P explained that he had a passion for Marzocchi Bombers and would not only rebuild it, but had a replacement stanchion. So I sent the fork off to Mark P and I just got it back. Unbelieveable. Mark P doesn’t just rebuild Marzocchi forks, he re-manufactures them. He not only replaced some 20 seals (see attached work sheet), but also cleaned up the shock and even re-polished the crown. So here are the pictures, which really don’t do it justice. The Bonty is ready to go again and I owe it all the Mark P.

The photos don’t show entire bike as it's is doing geared duty these days, but be rest assured it will be a singlespeed again.

Attachments

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Nice to see the Bonty back up and running, great to see modern classics rolling on and on :)

The old Marzocchi forks were amazing, the Z2 BAM I had on my Rock Lobster back in 98ish were amazing and only heavily tuned SC32s have come close (and not as reliable!)

Alex

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great job, I used to love my Superfly's. A freind still has a pair that he bought from me on an old carbon giant frame.

I'm sure that they were one of the lightest forks that Marzocchi made.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
halflung said:
AWESOME, do you know if does old rock shox forks. your bike is looking like it want's to get dirty.
No he works on quality forks....okay my bad, but no he only does work on Marzocchi's. Oh and I took it for a ride yesterday for the first time in over 5 years; I forgot what a to die for ride it has with the Superfly fork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.