Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if I should build my next bike or just buy a built one. This would be my first build, my budget is $2000. I'm looking for the best value for the money but I would also like to build a bike for the learning experience. Anyway my choices right now are between a Trek superfly AL 29er (built) or Niner EMD build with

Niner EMD Frame
SLX 2x cranks (converted to 1x9) and cassette
X9 derailleur and shifter
Bicycle wharehouse house pure 29er xt 6 bolt wheel set
BB7 brakes
Manitou tower expert fork

Obviously theres more to the build but I just wanted to list a few major parts. Hope this is the best place to post this. I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Justin,

This here forum is for folks who actually want to b-u-i-l-d their bikes...ya know, with tubes, files, fire and stuff.

Despite that fact, one of the fun aspects once you have completed your construction is to spec out the bike with your own sweet mix of parts. So let me throw this at ya, give Scott at Quiring bikes a call and get a US made steel Q ball frame for a sweet price (under 5 hundo), then spec it out with your own favorite parts that make the bike unique to you.

You'll have greater enjoyment (for a bit more money) putting it all together yourself than just walking into a shop and wheeling out someone else's idea of a proper bike.

cheers,

rody

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I actually ment to put this in the 29er forum. I was just looking in frame building section and accidentally posted it here. Thanks for giving me some advice though!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's the deal I'm working off of. Will that deal be up there for a while? Both bikes look like they'll be around the same price. My main hangup is the nicer fork on the superfly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.