Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MTBR --

I used to be a competitive rider and raced an 01 Gary Fisher Big Sur. Took off the stock fork and added a Marzocchi Z4 for what was a very capable cross country bike.

Nine years later looking to get back in and am set on the Trek Superfly series. Will be riding mostly in Virginia/DC/MD, hence wooded trails with roots, bridges, mud and occasional air.

My question is whether or not the Fox Evolution Float 32 w/ CTD and Shimano SLX components justify the added costs of the Eight? Seven comes with the RXShox Reba RL and the SRAM X7 derailleur and a FSA F2000 crank.

I am leaning towards the Eight in a 17.5 (5'10, 166, runner's build) but wanted to see if there was anything I was missing in factoring this decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,059 Posts
The Reba will accept a damper upgrade to the SID Motion Control DNA RLT to give you better small bump compliance- $170 part list. I would go with the 9.6 over the 8. The carbon frame is a major upgrade in this series with improved geo over the 9.9. 18.5" is a new size. I'm 5'10.75"/32 inseam.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts