Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
The "special" fork from Fox uses a slightly offset crown compared to standard forks. This is what Gary Fisher call G2 geometry. Read about it here:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/series/superfly-100

"A 29er that handles better than a 26" wheeled bike.

G2 for 29ers have an exclusive and increased 51mm offset fork, reducing the trail to that of a 26" wheeled bike for neutral, instinctive handling G2 offset only available on Fisher 29ers.
The wheelbase remains the same for high speed stability. The amount of trail is reduced for more neutral handling at slow speed, and the cockpit was shortened to allow the rider to weight the front wheel more effectively."

In answer to your question, you can fit any fork you like to the Fisher that fits the headtube, though you will experience a difference in the geometry and handling.

We had a customer fit a non-G2 fork to his Hifi and it made the bike noticeably quicker in it's steering. Personally, I didn't like the change as it made the bike feel a bit nervous and less stable than with the G2 fork, though the customer didn't seem to mind.

Back to your original question - why would you want to fit something else?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little Willy said:
In answer to your question, you can fit any fork you like to the Fisher that fits the headtube, though you will experience a difference in the geometry and handling.

We had a customer fit a non-G2 fork to his Hifi and it made the bike noticeably quicker in it's steering. Personally, I didn't like the change as it made the bike feel a bit nervous and less stable than with the G2 fork, though the customer didn't seem to mind.

Back to your original question - why would you want to fit something else?
so a non g2 fox fork would "steepen" HA...sort of?

some of the forks i want to try aren't even made in 29er i believe...so you're right. i might have no reason to change. i am still not sure if i will go this route or 26er

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nater said:
Not really. A different fork will change trail. A greater trail figure will slow-down handling making it more stable or less twitchy.
oh okay. gotcha. that doesn't seem to follow what the other poster said above.

oh well, no biggie. i was just curious. it's not a deal breaker or anything. still trying to decide on a bike. what could end up being a deal breaker is availability. i would like bike by march 1st...but it's not like i have the money in hand now so i have not called around either.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can tell you right now that unless you can find a Gary Fisher in a size and model you like on the sales floor - you will not be able to order one ( have it arrive) until March 22nd. This is for any FOX fork GF 29. Trek is currently out of stock on all X-Cal's Paragons and Superfly's

I ordered my X-Cal in December and I am more than happy to wait for the bike.

If you thinking about a hardtail 29er then I would consider the X-Cal. Sweet paint job and decent components. It is a great bike to start out with for 29er and slowly upgrade parts over time. (I have an M770 crankset I am putting on the bike when I get it) for $1500 its a great price for the geometry of G2 and the FOX.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
20sMotoSpirit said:
I can tell you right now that unless you can find a Gary Fisher in a size and model you like on the sales floor - you will not be able to order one ( have it arrive) until March 22nd. This is for any FOX fork GF 29. Trek is currently out of stock on all X-Cal's Paragons and Superfly's

I ordered my X-Cal in December and I am more than happy to wait for the bike.

If you thinking about a hardtail 29er then I would consider the X-Cal. Sweet paint job and decent components. It is a great bike to start out with for 29er and slowly upgrade parts over time. (I have an M770 crankset I am putting on the bike when I get it) for $1500 its a great price for the geometry of G2 and the FOX.
i am looking for a leadville bike, i signed up! i am not quite sure what i got myself into :thumbsup:

i don't think my butt could handle a ht for that long.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20sMotoSpirit said:
10-4 and good luck.

I want to do the Tahoe 100. (easier on the travel from California)
tahoe?

cool, i added it to my list. i am compiling a list of endurance races across the country every time i see one one here. i must have 20-30

i am sure someone has already posted a comprehensive list...but anyway i got them all stored in my xmarks foxmarks bookmarks :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
josh8 said:
No. There are not other forks using this design and really i can't see why you would want to change out a fox fork. It doesnt get much better.
Well, people want to change stuff because they can. There may be a sweet new fork next season that can't be used on the GF. Maybe there will be a 100mm travel fork that weight 1 lb. Who knows, upgrade-itis?

For the OP: http://www.lumberjack100.com/

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
mx_599 said:
oh okay. gotcha. that doesn't seem to follow what the other poster said above.
In my experience, the effect of going to a non G2 fork is the exact opposite of the above poster's experience.

That said, mattmoto is the Fisher Team mechanic and he posts that many of the team riders use non-G2 forks on their race bikes. The difference in offset is 51mm for the G2 fork and 44-46mm for the non-G2. The racers seem to like the ride just fine without the G2 fork...something about the handling being more stable when you're cooked during a race.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nater said:
In my experience, the effect of going to a non G2 fork is the exact opposite of the above poster's experience.

That said, mattmoto is the Fisher Team mechanic and he posts that many of the team riders use non-G2 forks on their race bikes. The difference in offset is 51mm for the G2 fork and 44-46mm for the non-G2. The racers seem to like the ride just fine without the G2 fork...something about the handling being more stable when you're cooked during a race.
interesting info, thanks

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Nater said:

Yep, if $ was no object for me, I'd get the SF100 and a specialized carbon steerer REBA for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was actually just talking to my Trek rep yesterday about this. Your local Trek/Fisher dealer should be able to get you "some" Fox forks with G2 offsets, but they seem to go fast when they are in stock. Every once in a while I see G2 forks pop up on ebay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
its simple

46mm offset fork has more trail and is more stable with heavier steering

51mm offset (G2) has less trail, less stability and lighter steering

imho After riding both I don't think it makes too much difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.