Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a Superfly 100. My one concern is that I've heard it has a low bottom bracket and you end up getting lots of pedal strikes even with normal riding (which I hate). So what kind of experience have you Superfly 100 owners had? Your comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ride a Small SF100 and yes swapping from my 26" wheeled bikes i did notice the lower BB due to increased pedal strikes but only took me a few rides to improve my technique and tbh i dont really notice it now ! However if i do lend the bike to someone for a test ride ect it is the first thing i warn them about not that anyone's ever said anything about it to me afterwards ? !

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 26" Stumpy prior to the Fisher, maybe it's because the shock setup was different or some other factor, but I smacked the pedal a fair amount initially. I've actually begun riding the shock platformed out and not only enjoy the liveliness of the bike a lot more, but also smack the pedal a lot less.
It was really a non issue for me - just part of getting used to a new bike.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
had the same issue with my RIP9 - especially when cranking through a turn with rocks/roots. i learned to adjust to it but it still happened occasionally - more so when I started to get tired.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replys. Sound's like its not a huge issue for most of you but I may wait to see what else comes out this year. It's just frustrating to me that a lot of manufacturers make these bikes with just low effective bottom brackets..ie...the real bottom bracket height after you adjust for sag. I currently have a Blur XC carbon. Initially it got a lot of pedal strikes so I put a bit larger tire on it and run the shock set very firm. Pedal strikes are a lot les common, the bike handles fine and I'm less likely to get launched from my bike from clipping a root or rock. Too bad I have to run the shock so firm though.. because the vpp actually works better set at a tad lower pressure. It just don't understand why the bike manufacturers make the bottom brackets so low. I just don't see how 1/4 to 1/2" difference makes that much difference in handling...though it sure makes a difference in how often you slam your pedals against rocks and roots.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
rixsurfer said:
I just don't see how 1/4 to 1/2" difference makes that much difference in handling...though it sure makes a difference in how often you slam your pedals against rocks and roots.
it does make a difference in handling. on my EBB bikes, i've played around with different BB height, and notice the difference right away.

i find it helps to have a high-engagement rear hub when climbing tech sections on a low BB bike.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
frorider said:
it does make a difference in handling. on my EBB bikes, i've played around with different BB height, and notice the difference right away.

i find it helps to have a high-engagement rear hub when climbing tech sections on a low BB bike.
I agree that a 1/2" in BB height does make a difference in handling. My custom frame has an EBB and I first set it up with the BB "down", giving it about a 12.25" BBH. The bike was sluggish and awkward on the trail. Did not really like it.

Turned the BB to "up" and the bike came alive. It is the best handling bike I have owned. Other than raising the saddle, I made no other changes. And the difference in feel was instant.

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is why I m hesitant to buy the Giant Anthem 29. After owning a Giant Anthem 26 which is know to have low BB and getting pedal strikes left and right it annoyed the hell outta me so much I ended up selling it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.