Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a Superfly 100. My one concern is that I've heard it has a low bottom bracket and you end up getting lots of pedal strikes even with normal riding (which I hate). So what kind of experience have you Superfly 100 owners had? Your comments are appreciated.

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
It seems to have the same BB height as my old 2008 HiFi, which was lower than I was used to with my previous bike - a Maverick ML-7. I moved from 180mm cranks to 175mm and adapted over the first few rides and now it's not an issue at all. And I live in Phoenix where we have plentiful rocks of all sizes.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I purchased my Superfly 100 early spring '10, and initially I was convinced I'd made a mistake. I was stuffing my pedals into every rock, stump and squirrelass that I rode over. It took me about 3 weeks to to get use to the bottom bracket height and it's changing height due to the suspension. After the short learning curve I grew to love the bike, so much so that I'm picking up my new superfly 100 elite tomorrow. I raced the 100 last season and had a great year. It's a spectacular ride and you love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first 29er, and my first FS, so I'm not sure I can give a relative comparison, but my experience so far has been that yes, you do get some pedal strikes, but no, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue (at least not for the XC riding I do), and you do figure it out after some miles on the bike, and then its not an issue at all.

And the stock cranks on the 100 Elite are the XO's - they seem to be holding up just fine to the strikes I do get.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have had my superfly 100 for a little less than a week so far. i noticed some pedal strikes but like others have mentioned you adjust your riding style a little. i am more aware of the trail now and just make sure my pedals are a little higher. it seems to work so far for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.