Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
and girls.

Im looking to get a 2003 Super T or Super T Pro.
I just want to know if the pro is worth the extra $100.
Also, what are the differences between the two.

Thanks. :)

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
The term "super T pro" has been used since 2001. There is no differation between a "super T" and "super T pro" from 2001 and on...

The reason the term "pro" is used is that it stands for "production". The original Super T was produced in 1997, modified in 1998, and hung around for a few years thereafter. These were handmade and manufacturered in extremely small batches and sold for extraordinary amounts of money (first one retailed for $2,400, no joke). I had one of these "non-production" forks. They were 6" travel forks with 30mm stanchions, real 20mm hubs, a crazy-arch with 4 bolts per side, 4-bolts per side on the axle, clamp-on crowns and twin cartridge dampers.

The Super Ts made starting in 2001 were called "super T pros", the pro was for production. These actually had the same cartridges as the older non-production version, but starting in 2002 they made it a 7" fork so the cartridges were no longer the same obviously.

The 2003 Super T Pro is the full name of that fork in 2003, there is no different fork called the "super T". The 2003 version has twin cartridge dampers, just like the original 1997 one did, the 2003 version has 7" of travel, one-piece cast lowers, and 32mm stanchions.

The 2004 Super T Pro has modified lowers that have more tire clearance, but the damping has been downgraded, it only has one damping cartridge, and this is reflected by the cheaper price in 2004. The 2003 has better damping, but the 2004 has better tire clearance. A trade off...The reason for all of this is that the 888 is now marzocchis "front line" DH fork, and it comes in a 7 or 8" version. So with the 888 taking the front-stage, the super T has taken the back stage. It's still a very good fork, but i'd rather have a twin-cartridge fork than something with one cartridge and the other leg have the "SSV" ported damper. That's why the 2003 is good if the tire clearence doesn't bother you.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
ahh, simple.

One is a 2002 Super T Pro

One is a 2003 Super T Pro

between 2003 and 2002, there were pretty big differences. The 2002 one has smaller 30mm stanchions, and a cast aluminum/bonded arch.

The 2003 has one-piece lowers, a fixed lower crown, 32mm stanchions, and is a bit heavier.

The article simple left out the "pro" part on the 2002 model, and since the years are not mentioned, I can see how it can get confusing when they do little typos like that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts